View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Extreme memories 

Post Extreme memories
Mom has extreme memories from the past from an abusive husband. She thinks she is being abused verbally and physically as of late (2 weeks real bad) and takes it out on her present husband. It is becoming very taxing. We can sometimes talk her out. My question is this, because we know most of the time what she might be referring to, is it a different form? Her physical presence is very stooped, no tremors, just alot of hallucinations and referrals to the past. Sometimes violent, she is on the exelon patch and zyprexa.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Post Re: Extreme memories
I'm not sure exactly what your question is. Are you asking if she is having something different from capgras syndrome, or some other type of dementia? I'm not really sure that either of those matter much, but what is important is to see if her dr. will change her meds to help reduce her symptoms. Whether she did or didn't suffer abuse in the past probably doesn't matter at this point either - it's a matter of trying to reduce symptoms that she has NOW, however that can be achieved, and hopefully her drs. can figure that out. Good luck, I know this sort of thing is so hard to deal with and observe. Lynn

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Of course it matters at this point, that is what she focuses on and that is what makes her violent.
Unfortunately, the dr's cannot figure it out
BTW- no capgras syndrome

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:30 pm

I also am not sure of the question here either but if you meant the type of dementia, that is not possible to know 100% for sure what it is until after a person passes, the best that doctors can do is to say it is probable but often even that turns out wrong. As to her memories, they are very real to her at that moment and best I can say is to try and divert her attention to something else which I am sure you have tried but they do live in the moment and since I don't reacll your screen name I would like to welcome you to the LBDA forums !

Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm
Profile WWW

What I should probably have said was, that even if a person had not been abused in the past, they might have delusions that that had happened, and therefore the person acts out. It's the current acting out, anxiety, etc. that she needs help with whether the memories are real or are delusions for our LOs. As Irene says, whatever is going on is real to the person and the symptoms require attention. I sure hope the dr. finds something that helps.

Thu May 02, 2013 7:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]