View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 My husband wants to us to get married 

Post My husband wants to us to get married
Don't know if this is the right area, but here goes. My husband had severe Capgras Syndrome at home, thinking I was 3 different people. Since he's been hospitalized and now in a nursing facility, he began seeing me as his wife again, and introduces me this way. About 3 weeks ago, it changed again, and he began asking me to marry him. I continually respond "Of course I will marry you". Yesterday he was telling the staff (when I walked in) that I don't understand how he feels about me and is heartbroken that we can't get married. Of course I responded that I will marry him. He has said "Thank goodness, my heart is unbroken". Once I did try telling him that we did get married, which may have been wrong since he asked "Are we?" and I know that disagreeing is confusing. Any suggestions would be helpful because I am heartbroken without him, but have lots of support. How can I comfort him?

Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Post Re: My husband wants to us to get married
My mother & father in law went thru this when mom was in the latter stages. My husbands sister in law arranged for a wedding to "recreate" the memory for her. It did help for awhile.

Perhaps, have someone(s) from the home on Stand-By with a Bible and flowers to recreate the wedding vows anytime he needs? He won't know the preacher isn't real ;)

But you'd be giving him a great gift and precious memories for you. xxoo

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 am

I thought of the same, but wonder if he would even remember since his short term memory is gone. Did it help with your Mother and Father in Law?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:49 am

Not really but it made mama feel better for that moment.
Besides, YOU will have that memory forever. :)

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]