View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Too many transitions? 

Post Too many transitions?
After living in FL for almost 20 years, Jimmy and I relocated in MA with our family in Jan. Diagnosed in 2012, but misdiagnosed 2 years prior. Hospitalized in Jan. due to pelvic fracture, aggression and agitation forced his admission to psych ward and then to horrible nursing home situation. Now he's been approved at a 5 star facility, after 3 mths of applications.
Every day he asks me to come home thinking we are returning to FL (I am currently living with my Mother in MA), but then when I tell him I'll see him tomorrow, he seems to understand that he needs to stay at facility. So, any suggestions on how to make yet another transition? I could tell him we are moving to a new apartment. His thought process is confusing to me...can you imagine what I am doing to him. Too much change in such a short time. He must feel like a pin-ball machine.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:31 am

Post Re: Too many transitions?
Ann, if he is not in a great living situation right now, he is probably aware of that. You can play up the fact that you're moving to a nicer place. Even though it's not home, hopefully he will appreciate the reason for the move. I do remember how hard it was at that stage, when each transition was a potential disruption, but none of them led back home. Best of luck, and let us know how things are going!

Molly - Forum moderator. My dad's career as a geologist was interrupted by PD and LBD in 2009. I was a respite caregiver for my dad (lived out of state, but visited many times a year). He passed away peacefully in April 2014.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Thank you Molly. Unfortunately the 5-star changed it's mind since he had a recent episode of aggression towards an Aid. Now back to square one. Thank you for your advice.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:46 am

Oh Ann, I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope it's not too bad where he is now, and that you're able to get him accepted to a better facility soon. Hang in there!

Molly - Forum moderator. My dad's career as a geologist was interrupted by PD and LBD in 2009. I was a respite caregiver for my dad (lived out of state, but visited many times a year). He passed away peacefully in April 2014.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 pm

Hello, our family wanted us to move from Florida to either MA or CT to be close to them. Unfortunately, the health care laws in those two states can bankrupt you as well as the fact that my husband doesn't do well in cold weather. I decided that less disruption was better, primarily because my husband already experienced significant decline when we downsized to a smaller home and that is what took us to the neurologist. The move revealed that my husband had been masking his symptoms for a while and triggered anxiety, depression and memory loss. I didn't want him to be pushed into crisis by another move. So, by staying here, he continues to see his same doctors, etc. I just pay for his kids to come down and visit. Florida is much more advanced when it comes to understanding the needs and the care of our loved ones with dementia and I am very happy with the Memory Care Center where he now resides. I guess it's because there are so many seniors down here. Best of luck.

Fri May 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you for your kind words Adele. Im glad that you were able to remain in FL. The climate is friendlier and more condusive to activity. I wish you peace as well.

Sat May 02, 2015 6:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]