View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 REM sleep 

Post REM sleep
My dad has been having a lot of problems in the area of REM sleep. It has been 3 nights where it's almost as though he is neither awake nor asleep, like what I call, twilight sleep. He is aware of every movement and noise in the room and will wake up briefly to see what is going on and then almost immediately slip right back into a dream. The dreams are VERY violent with kicking, punching and extremely bad language that my dad has never used. He has had some hallucinations, like seeing his mother who passed away more than 15 years ago, but those aren't very frequent. He does not remember his dreams but is generally sore the next day, very tired and complains of headaches. He is on Aricept but that is the only med he is taking at this time. Is there other meds that I can mention to his neurologist that may be helpful? His body needs rest and so does my mother.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:00 am

Post Re: REM sleep
I've read that many people have had success on this forum with melatonin. I don't believe we ever tried that but my Mom's sleep cycle was always going out of wack. She'd eventually get so tired that she'd sleep for a week and then the cycle would repeat itself.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Post Re: REM sleep daddysbabygirl
Hi, maybe your dads needs a little something to help with his anxiety before bed time. If your dad has a dx of lbd or not the dr. could start him on a low dose of seroquel. If u see a small change for the better, the dx could go up. Maybe over ride the rem sleep some so they both can get some sleep. Are u the only child? sounds like you are close with your parents. I have one brother he lives in d.c. my family and i live in the same town my parents do,Wilmington NC. mom is 75 dad is 73, have u heard the dementia story of married couples? YOUR mom needs all the help she can get and u will too. If u need me let me know, i have learned as much as i can and will continue to learn all i can about LEWY. paula.lanier.54@gmail.com. And at LBDcaregivers@yahoogroup.com.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Post Re: REM sleep
My Mom was having these kind of dreams, talking all night, shouting, moving around, shaking the bedrail. She had an EEG test and an anomaly was found. She was put on Keppra, an antiseizure med that may also help cognition, pending seeing an epilepsy neurologist.

Since then, these sleep episodes have dwindled to only once in a while.

Perhaps it would be worth while to see about an EEG, if your loved one hasn't already had one.

Take care,
Sue

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]