View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Husband's hallucinations 

Thanks Dinny, that will be something to keep in mind for our next Dr.'s visit.

You have it right, "craziness" is just what we go through especially at night and early morning.

I am glad your LO is doing better on the new meds.

#1daughter

Caregiver to 84yr. mother w/LBD & 83yr. dad w/PD

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:45 am

Post imposters
This happened with my mom. It was frightening to me at first. I tried to explain this to my siblings when it was happening but they couldn't understand it and they couldn't believe that it was really happening. It was transient in mom's situation which was even more difficult. At one point she believed I was the "other woman" living with her that just looked like her daughter and that my husband had her daughter in the big house. I had some success with this by telling her that it was a part of the bad dreams ( what were reallyhallucinations) that she was having. These caused her alot of anxiety and distress. I self=talked my self through alot of it by remembering that if I was upset and could rationalize what must she be feeling when reasoning couldn't help her.
I had pushed alot of this to the back of my mind as my mom's conditioned worsened but as I think back on it, it helps to decrease my own feelings of stress and anxiety.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:51 am

Yes it is a very stressful situation when they think a LO is a complete stranger, only looks identical to their, spouse, daughter, etc. Mother had this from the very beginning and still does. I talk until I am "blue" in the face trying to explain and answer her questions about these things. Sometimes it helps, other times it makes her angry.

Did/does your mom take meds for LBD? How is she now?

#1daughter

Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Mom passed away two weeks ago. It is very difficult. She was in a nursing home because her swallowing difficulties becme so great that she needed a feeding tube and skilled home care was virtually impossible to find. Over the past three years I have had very little time to think about and further explore all of the parameters of the disease. I simply had to respond and take care of things on a day to day basis without nelp except from my husband and children. THe nursing home was wonderful. I visited mom every day five or take a day or two. When she was at home it was really difficult because I work two jobs and I had to manage two households. It was hard when mom became angry at me and said some of the things that she said but one of her caregivers said to just keep saying "it's the disease not your mom saying those things" That helped alot. My siblings insist that mom was gone a long time ago but I know that she had days when she recognized me. I have alot to process right now but it really helps to talk it out. Thanks

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:45 pm

Debbielee: I am so sorry for your loss. But, having a husband with this dreadful disease, I know she is much better off and not suffering. You are probably trying to live life without all the stress you were so used to.
Don't feel guilty if you feel a "relief" from it all. I know how guilty we can feel over some things that are human to feel.
I just returned from a drive in the country with my husband. I was hoping it would jar his memory of who I am. But, the whole trip he talked about his children and I should leave them alone. They were none of my business. That hurts so badly. But, I keep telling myself "it is the disease talking, not him" just as you were told to do. But, I am human and some times I just want to scream and tell him everything the way it is. But, it would not benefit him or me. He would just get more angry and tell me to leave him and his family alone. So I go on.
Please enjoy your life now. You have earned it. Taking care of someone with this disease has got to be one of the hardest jobs there is. The only thing that gets me through is knowing the "real" Ronald does love me.
blessings to you and your family.
maryangela

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:59 pm

Debbielee I am very sorry for the lost of your mother. I know you did your very best in caring for her. You will be blessed for that.
Peace be with you.

#1daughter

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 pm

It is true that Rondald does love you. The very last words my mom said after not being verbal for a long time were "I love you" That's how I know that she still had times when she was aware of who I was.

Thank you and number 1 daugther for your kind words. I wish you both well and I hope that your journies hav e fewer bumps because you take the time to comfort others.

Debbielee

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:50 am

debbielee: I have some very nice people help me with words of comfort and concern for this, also. Some are in this forum and some are by private messages. They do help.
I hope you get some comfort knowing your mother is in a better place. I can't imagine the pain they go through here with this disease. If it hurts us so much,(and it does) can we only imagine their pain?
blessings to you!!
maryangela

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2