View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Hospital bed query 

Post Hospital bed query
Hi, I want to get your opinion please on what you think of hospital beds in the home house. My Dad is in respite care this week so I decided to purchase a hospital bed and have it set up for him when he gets back. My sister however has gone mental with this and said its too soon for that. The reason I got it was because for the last two years he has slept in an upright position in a mountain of pillows. He is unable to shuffle over in the bed so sleeps against a portable railing beside the bed. A hospital bed however means that we could put him into a proper raised position in the bed and it also has an accompanying monkey bar so that he can pull himself into the centre of the bed. I think my sister associates this bed with the concept of it being a "death bed" which is not the way I view it at all. Although he is still physically mobile his mind is completely gone so he wouldn't understand or care what kind of bed it is once its comfortable. Have I rushed into this or do you think it was the right thing to do?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Post Re: Hospital bed query
If your dad needs a hospital bed because of his physical abilities and disabilities, and you CGs need it to help him get in and out of bed, of course it was the right thing to do!!! If/when he needs a wheelchair eventually is she going to not want him to have one of those either? Excuse me, but it sounds like someone might be in denial, big time. Do what you need to do to keep your dad comfortable for heaven's sake! Your sister will just have to deal with it in her own time but don't let it get you down or have you second-guessing yourself.
I was able to borrow a hosp. bed from the local American Legion. And I think Medicare will pay the rental on one, but you should check into that if buying one is the biggest issue. Hang in there, Lynn

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Not too soon at all! A hospital bed will provide comfort for him and convenience for you taking care of him.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 pm

No it is not too soon for a hospital bed, its the name of it that bothers your sister but I say whatever helps in caring for your Dad is what is important !

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 am
Profile WWW

I got a hospital bed for my husband in late November. It was the best move I made because now he can sit up, I don't worry about him falling out of bed and it is easier to get him up and into his wheelchair. I did purchase a memory foam topping for it though because they aren't the most comfortable beds. If you think it would make this easier for him and you by all means do it.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:54 pm

I've been wondering about this, too, but I wouldn't base my decision on a family member's misunderstanding of the purpose. I worry about bed sores. My husband now sleeps only on his back and can't change his position himself.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 am

Ruth,
The hospital bed actually can make turning him easier if you can get him to hold the side bars to help pull him on his side and wedge a pillow behind him it at least gets him off his back, I did this for many months in the latter part of my husbands illness and when he became bed bound we did it ever 2-3 hours.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile WWW

That's right, Irene. And you can get the bed high enough so that you don't strain your back positioning him or making the bed.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. The bed is working great and everyone is happy now with it. Sometimes family are harder to deal with than the person who is sick.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 pm

You are so right with that remark! It's amazing how often the people who AREN'T the CG and are kind of out of touch with the reality of the situation like to give the CG advice and criticism! Hang in there and do what you think is in the best interest of your LO. Lynn

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]