View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Falling 

Post Falling
My 80 year old husband is diagnosed with probable LBD. His cognitive skills especially with executive functioning and language and short term memory are low but he had been able to move around pretty well up to about two years ago when he started to shuffle. About 15 months ago he started exhibiting balance issues, especially when he was turning. Last summer we went through a period where he was falling or nearly falling almost every day. Fortunately he has his mom's bones and has not bruised himself badly. I worked with his doctors and we changed three meds which we thought may be causing the falling. Within a few weeks, his falling had nearly stopped. We were estatic. I should add that Gene does use a cane but cannot easily use a walker. Last week the falling returned and now we are very concerned that there will be no respite. I am ordering a lightweight wheelchair today and having Gene tested for infection. Is there any other suggestions you have to help us deal with this decline? I am feeling sad seeing that the little enjoyment he had in going out may soon be behind him.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Post Re: Falling
my mom is 88 and has parkinson's. she, too, has problems with walking and especially starting and turning.

she does pretty well with a walker. does your husband have a physical therapist? could he be assessed to see if he could learn to use it? it took my mom quite a few sessions to get the hang of it.

worth a try. i can't wrestle a wheelchair in and out of my vehicle, but i can manage a walker. so mom can still go out.

once she's in a wheelchair, that's over.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Nan,
Sounds like you are on the right track with Light weight WC and thinking possible infection but we always have to conside if nothing is found it could just a decline of the disease and yes it is very sad but do try to keep up with thing that make you both smile a little each day and welcome to the LBDA forums.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:50 pm
Profile WWW

My husband had always said he would not want to live if he couldn't walk but he's been in a wheelchair for two years now, unable to propel himself, and seems to have accepted it. In a way, it is fortunate that their cognition declines along with their physical state. Otherwise, they would probably be more miserable thinking about their losses.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]