View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 How to help husband understand "time" 

Post How to help husband understand "time"
Sometimes my husband does not understand "time" or realize how much time has passed. Mostly he begins the task too early or too late. Does anyone have suggestions so when tasks need to be done and I am not home, he is able to get the task done? I leave notes, but sometimes that does not help.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Post Re: How to help husband understand "time"
My husband's neurologist explained that his inner clock is 'broken' as a result of Lewy. Maybe it depends on what part of the brain is affected but nothing seems to help him with time. He doesn't even know it's daytime when it's light or night when it's dark. Even when he could tell time, his grasp of it wasn't there.

I learned a few years ago that, if he had an appointment, not to tell him until just before it was time because he would be getting ready hours--or even days--ahead. :|

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Pam, have you tried setting an alarm clock for the time he is supposed to start a task, and then maybe leaving a note by the alarm clock to remind him of why it has gone off?

Julianne

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:07 pm

The alarm clock might work if he is in one place. His hearing has been off, since worked in a factory as a toolmaker for 30 years! Otherwise, he cannot hear the alarm.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Does he carry a cell phone? If so, set the alarm on that and teach him how to turn off the alarm, if he doesn't already know. If he does hear an alarm, will he know what that means?

Time distortion seems to be a common issue with many of our LOs after a while. Night/day, breakfast/dinner - it's all mixed up and nonsensical. Just do the best you can working with the symptoms... I hope you find something that will work for a while.

Lynn

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]