View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Resistant to Getting Up 

Post Resistant to Getting Up
Recently my husband has become very resistant to getting up and going to the bathroom or any other place in our apartment. After much probing, he finally told me that it hurts to stand up; which is why he has spent most of his time sitting on the couch, rocker recliner, wheel chair or bed, refusing to move from his comfortable spot. This has caused problems because the less he gets up, the weaker his body becomes, and the more bed sores he gets, which are difficult to heal because of his soiled diapers.

Because it's easier to change his diaper in bed, I had my brother-in-law and nephew move him from the couch last night to his bed. And there he will stay until the Home Health Care physical therapist comes next week to work with him. In fact, I wouldn't let him get up this morning when he asked if he could move to the couch, because I am tired of the battle to get him to go to the bathroom or back to bed at night. It's just too much for me now. He is 6'2" and 247 lbs and I am 5'1" and about 230 lbs, with aching joints; and I just don't have the strength to get him from point A to point B when he is as weak as he is right now. When the physical therapist comes, however, because he has worked with many Lewy Body Dementia patients, I am going to ask him to evaluate whether this is an irreversible baseline change for my husband, or if this is something that can be corrected with physical therapy.

If it is an irreversible baseline change, and being in bed is as good as it's going to be for him from here on, I am considering asking his doctor to order the insertion of a folly catheter. And yes, I realize that such a move could mean possible UTIs, but because I'm taking care of him by myself (because we can't afford to put him in a nursing home), I think that it would be much easier on me physically to empty urine bags rather than continually struggle changing his diapers, bed pads and linens. He's a big man!

Has anyone else opted for the insertion of a folly catheter for their loved one?

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Post Re: Resistant to Getting Up
My husband has had a catheter since 2008. It was not an option because he has a neurogenic bladder and is unable to void. About a year ago, the urologist inserted a suprapubic catheter [into the lower belly] and that has worked well. Flushing with weak acetic acid three times a day has kept him UTI free.

Many who are incontinent get Foley catheters inserted--not just for convenience of the caregivers but because the urine will often break the skin down over time. I would get the advice of a urologist before making a decision but a catheter might be in your husband's best interest, especially if he already has bed sores.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks Pat. That makes me feel better. Now if I can get him to a urologist.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:57 am

Beth, if you can't get him to a urologist I would do whatever is necessary to keep his skin intact--and that might include an indwelling catheter. But the main cause of bed sores is pressure so I would make sure he is turned often and has some kind of eggcrate, gel or other pressure-alleviating mattress and chair pad. [Forgive me if you have already mentioned these things and I have forgotten].

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]