View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hospitalization -downhill from here? 

Post Hospitalization -downhill from here?
My husband had to go into the hospital last week with gallstones and gall bladder inflammation. I really pushed NOT to go to surgery right away, as I've read how anesthesia and pain meds can really mess up the LBD brain. So they did a tube to drain the bile, which has worked so far with most of his vital signs. But he's not waking up much, not responding much. Now I worry that all this time in hospital and all the various things that have gone wrong (high sodium levels and so swelling, diarrhea, etc.) will be just as bad as the meds. Plus, since he hasn't been very awake and able to swallow well, they haven't given him all his psychiatric meds. Should I now steel myself that I won't be able to bring him home, that this is going to be a bad turning point? Who else has had similar experience and how did it turn out?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Post Re: Hospitalization -downhill from here?
Kathy - this sounds like a time when you just have to go hour by hour, day by day. My best guess is that there isn't any reliable way to predict what is going to happen. The disease itself is so unpredictable and now you have all these other variables that can affect his health and his behavior. Take a deep breath and take it one step at a time.

In case things don't go well maybe you should have some solid ideas about rehab center(s) in case he is going to need that. A social worker at the hospital may be able to give you his/her best recommendations so you can check them out before you may need to move your LO. Once he's stable the hospital will probably want him moved out pretty quickly so having a place you feel comfortable with is going to help you and him.

For now, hang in there and take care of yourself too. Big hugs, Lynn

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Yes, I met with a team today to make some plans about the future. Had already looked at memory care units and foster homes. He had a bad experience at rehab. before so I DON't want to do that again, but there are some options. Just worry that this hospital stay will wear him down so he must stay where there is nursing care. That limits you.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 am

If he's still in the hospital, have they considered some type of local anesthetic for the gallbladder removal? I'm not really knowledgeable about it but know there have been advances in the procedure. I wonder if having a "spinal" could work on someone with LBD or if even a "spinal" would "numb" the right parts of the body. Just a thought. May whatever course you take work to ease your suffering.

God Bless,
Terri

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]