View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Acting Out/Combatitive behavior 

Post Re: Acting Out/Combatitive behavior
Dianne - I'm not familiar with that med but hopefully someone else on this forum can help you with that.

Re: violent behavior - I have personally known 3 people with LBD who had serious aggressive/violence issues. For them, the only thing that worked was for the person to be hospitalized and highly drugged. Perhaps there are new drugs that have been made available in the past year that will help and not make the person basically unconscious.

This must be extremely frightening and distressing for you. Please make sure you have safety alternatives in place in your home (like a lock inside your bedroom so he cannot come at you at night and you have a room to escape to if he does come after you during the day), and you may even want to educate the police as to what is going on for your poor husband. There are several postings on this forum about people having to call the police because their LO was so violent. At least if the police know ahead of time that your husband has a serious neurological illness they may treat him differently than a "typical" domestic abuser, if you need to call them during an emergency situation.

Sending you a big hug, and hoping you have lots of support for you and for your husband. Lynn

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:55 pm

I feel for you. But please pay close attention to what I am about to say: careful with new drugs. The same thing happened to my mother...she was so out of control I could no longer take her to doctor's appointments and was desperate. I could not wait on her Psych appoint which was three months out, so I sought another opinion. She was put on Respirdal. From the very first pill she lost her orientation as to where she is. And has NEVER been the same. I took her off of it after five days. Yes, it calmed her, yes, her old sweet personality returned, but every afternoon she is so distressed not knowing where she is. After that med, we went to Zyprexa, which was again, great for mood, but her memory as to "place" got even worse. So....back to Seroquel on a higher dose. Personality is better, but having some wild nights. We have 24 hour sitting, no one person could survive all of this. Still has no clue and does not recognize her room at the facility where she has been 1 and half years.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi All; Another thought about REM and the violent or active dreams. I hear my husband yelling "Help" "Help" "Call the police"
but realize it is a dream and just let him It is sort of like a child with night terrors, if they come running out of bed just let them go and you will find they will run right back to bed and go back to sleep. It is no as though they have been fully awake. My husband never remembers that he had the dreams as I make no attempt to wake him from them, If you can just let the person be eventually they fall back to sleep and do not remember the dreams when they awake later. Anne

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have seen a great improvement in my husband's mood stabilization after 4 weeks on the Lamotrigine. He was somewhat more tired but says he is getting used to the new meds. He is sleeping well with the Clonazepam. I am CAUTIOUSLY observing this time. As before, during the past 3 years, these periods seem to only last a few weeks and we are back into another fluctuation without warning. The last incident was very upsetting and I am really hoping these meds continue to help. Dianne

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3