View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Acting Out/Combatitive behavior 

Post Re: Acting Out/Combatitive behavior
Just called the hospital and talked to my husband's nurse. He is doing fine today and is accepting all care. However, they assumed that he could not get up on his feet and have been keeping him in bed. Sigh! Doesn't any nurse know how to call the caregiver and ask what an LBD patient's baseline is? Obviously not!!

My husband also knows why he's in the hospital...that he hit his wife and the police came and took him to the hospital. Well, actually the ambulance took him to the hospital. The police showed up to make sure my husband didn't take a swing at the paramedics.

I told the nurse to let my husband know that I love him and that I'll be by tomorrow afternoon to see him.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Glad to hear he is doing better, Beth! :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:48 pm

So sorry for what you are going through now Beth. Take care of yourself. Lynn

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks Lynn. I'm still in a quandry about whether or not to allow the psychiatrist to prescribe Tegretol for my husband.

Robin, could you please research Tegretol and let me know what you think about it. Irene, I would appreciate your feedback on this drug, also. And from anyone else who wants to weigh in on this subject.

I don't mind my husband getting started on Seroquel, but I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about Tegretol, especially because he has Afib and has had a silent stroke in the right basal ganglia area.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Carol and Beth, this too has been a fear of mine. I've posted before about a couple incidents we had here but none since I quit the topical anti-fungal, weird huh. My concern was as yours, what to do after hours or in the middle of the night when friends/family are sleeping soundly. I live in the High Desert in SoCal. No real neurological specialties in the area. Through UCLA, they have an "Alzheimer's and other Dementia" support center. The doctor at UCLA had recommended it last June but it's 93 miles from my house so I didn't think it was feasible. When John had his nighttime episodes, the doctor again suggested perhaps it was time to try it so I asked her to refer us there. We went Thursday, Nov 8. That has been the best move I've made so far. We completed a questionnaire in advance, then went for our face-to-face. We met a nurse practitioner very knowledgeable in LBD. Went through the interview which consisted of questions and observations of him and me, together and separately. (I was told in the beginning that he didn't really even have to go as the support is more for the caregiver. He's ambulatory so I took him.) She went over the condition with John, explaining that everyone is different but enumerated those things that he may experience in the future. Talked about my safety and mentioned the importance of being prepared with known resources should we ever need them. Better than being caught unawares. It was so much better than me trying to educate him. She will now be our go-to person. John goes back in a year but I can go back anytime. What this does for us is whenever something happens, 24/7, I have contacts via phone. During regular hours, she will get the call. After hours the call will be answered by a Geriatrician. Whatever is happening or whatever I need anytime day or night will be handled by them. The nurse practitioner is researching availablility of needed resources in my area, e.g. a Geriatric Psychiatrist. She will be the conduit between us and our doctors. She has the information about our local doctors and will start a dialogue with them. I pray it's all what it's advertised to be. This is a relatively new program and it's growing. I'm not sure how they would respond to interested parties from long distances away, but if you were interested in something like that, perhaps a call to them will guide you to a similar program near you. Like I said, he doesn't have to go back for a year. Most of the contact will be by phone or e-mail. If you or anyone would like the contact information, e-mail me and I'll be glad to provide what I have.

Blessings to you all.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:14 am

Wow, what a great program!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:22 am

This is my first real post. I just turned 56 and I had to quit my job two years ago to take care of my husband. Long story short, I have given up my career, my support system, and my financial independence in one fell swoop. Anyway, it was a tough birthday for me and so has been a tough couple of weeks. Enough of my pity party...
I have a question, and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. Although Joe, 65, has been diagnosed with LBD w/Parkinsonism about 18 mths, he is still able to walk pretty well and seems to track well more times than not. He has PTSD from Vietnam as well as other health issues. I am pleased with his care from the VA and his meds seem to be working as well as can be expected. He is not having too many delusions yet, mostly just active dreams. His drivers license was up for renewal this year, but the state would not allow it with this diagnosis.
So this is my problem: We live in the country. Joe has always been an avid hunter and fisherman. He seems to be pushing himself to do as many of these activities as humanly possible. He knows his days are numbered and knows there will be a day that I will be taking the guns away permanently. (I have them locked away when he is not using them, and I never let him have them without a friend to supervise.) He cannot relax. He cannot stay home for even a day. I am constantly running him places, and he is always trying to get his friends to take him fishing, hunting, shooting, and any activity that springs to his mind. It keeps me totally worn out, and is starting to wear on his friends. I think he is feeling that he has to do as much as he can while he is still able, but he is so self-focused, that he doesn't see that I am exhausted and his friends are getting pretty annoyed. He doesn't realize how he is pushing others away, and I NEED THEIR HELP. Is anyone else experiencing this total self-involvement? I don't know if I can handle this caregiving stuff when it gets really bad, because I am already at my wits end. I read some of your other posts, and I admire your wear-with-all!!!!

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi - here's an idea - what about finding someone to come in and take care of your husband while you have a get together with his friends to explain the disease to them - behaviors, physical issues, mental issues, etc. Perhaps when they have more of an understanding about this disease and how it affects people they will want to help. Right now, they probably feel like their friend is being a burden and taking them for granted. If they know it's the disease talking, their understanding and patience may increase. I think it's worth a try. Perhaps you can work with them on a schedule so they can take turns being with him either at your house or on outings.

Under no conditions would I allow a LO with LBD to have access to guns EVER. The disease is so unpredictable and the ability for people with LBD to understand various situations, make sound decisions, etc. decreases as time marches on. Why would you put him, yourself or others at risk with something you know could be unsafe? (rhetorical question. Don't need to answer this except to yourself.) That is why his license was not renewed, I'm assuming. A gun is certainly as dangerous as a car.

Good luck with all of this and come back as often as you want. There are so many of us who have walked the same path you are walking now, so hopefully you will find suggestions helpful to you along the way. Take care, Lynn

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:48 pm

I have an example of his intense need/insistence to be doing something all the time: After church this morning (10:00 a.m.), we did our usual trip out for breakfast and sometimes we stop at a store on our way home. He dumped the salsa for his omelet on his pancakes instead. Then when we got to the car, he produced a list and insisted we needed everything on it TODAY. We not only stopped at a store, we stopped at 4 stores, visited a friend on the north side of town, went to the bait shop, drove out to the gun club on the south end of town to talk to another friend, and then he wanted to stop for ice cream. I told him no as I was tired, and my feet hurt because I had on my church shoes. I had been helping him run errands for 6 hours! Of course, when we got home, I still had to get him settled for the evening, do some cleaning, get supper...

I am planning on locking up the guns permanently after this hunting season is over. Thank you for the suggestion of visiting with his friends. I have had a few opportunities to discuss this with some of them. Several of them just see him during 'showtime', so they don't understand what we are dealing with. A couple of them were willing to go online to check it out. It would be helpful to have a single sheet of paper I could give them (Maybe a less complicated explanation is in order.) On the other hand, getting hunting buddies to agree I must take the guns away is a daunting task. I will guess that he will become unmanageable, depressed, and uncooperative when I do it, so I have given him this one more season before he gets really bad.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi again - it's really important to note that LBD changes can occur with the blink of an eye. Unlike typical Alz. patients, for instance, where decline is more gradual and more predictable, LBD changes can be like falling off a cliff. One moment our LOs can be fairly normal and the next moment they can become combative, lose total control of their bodily functions, be unable to do any showtime at all, etc. BTDT with my dad. I could only imagine what may occur if a person with LBD has a gun and has a sudden loss of their executive functioning. I would not want the responsibility nor would I want to be anywhere near the person myself, no matter what the patient or their friends think. I hope you are able to keep everyone safe in such a situation.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Lynn is right. And you have mentioned in another thread that he is 'paranoid'. This is a recipe for disaster. I'll pray nothing bad happens. One time my husband was convinced our neighbors were shooting at our house and went charging over there. Thankfully, no one was home.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:45 pm

This is one of the hardest parts of the disease we have had to deal with concerning Daddy. He is very violent and has hurt Momma on several occasions. The doctor told me I could never let him go home again and so the nursing home decision was taken off my shoulders as far as the guilt was concerned. He has been at the nursing home since March of 2012 and they have had numerous episodes of violent outbursts with him to the point his medication has been increased and Haldol injections are ordered as needed. Even though the medication makes him sleep a great deal as does his disease, I would much rather have him that way than combative and having to be moved to another facility farther away from us. One of the biggest things I have learned with Daddy is that when he is in one of these moods, I tell everyone to just leave him alone. If I walk in and find him not as neat and orderly as usual, they know I understand how he can be and they take care of him as soon as he will allow them. It is an ordeal and I hope it is only temporary for you but you need to take every precaution to protect yourself. Momma is the one that Daddy goes after the most and his doctor said that is usually what happens. He is not as physical with me although there have been times I have left with bruises and scratches. It is heartbreaking when my Daddy never lifted a finger to me in anger in all of my life and I know it is not him doing it now. I hate this disease so much!!!!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:03 pm

So far, my husband hasn't shown any signs of violent behavior. But, even before this disease set in, he has always been good at getting what he wants. Now it is just 10-fold and is pushing all normal limits. We have always lived our own separate lives and it worked up until I had to quit work and stay home to care for him. It is almost as if he knows he only has a short time left, so he is trying to fit in as much as possible....which is terribly exhausting especially when you are the driver, the planner, the cleaner, and the "parent"....and you know...

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Short intro-Husband is 64, diagnosed two years ago. Still very highly functioning in verbal conversations and physical activities. Has had fluctuations like a time clock every 2 or so months, with symptoms increasing. Mostly dealing with visual spatial issues-gave away all plaid shirts because they make his brain crazy, ongoing anger with me with increasing acting out verbally-cursing, loud yelling, accusatory, nightmares are ongoing with minimal acting out the past year.
He recently had a totally unprovoked outburst which really frightened me because of the look in his eyes. It was not him. I left the house and when I came back several hours later, he was in bed. He told neurologist the "spell" lasted 30 hours. He is now on lamotrigine and clonazepam for sleeping. Has only been two weeks. We up the Lamotrigine today and he is sleeping better-says has only 1 or 2 nightmares and his legs have quieted down.
Two questions-
has anyone had improved behavior with the Lamotrigine?
Will this most likely progress to physical violence? I am now very frightened and never thought I would feel like this when he is still so "with it" cognitively. Thanks.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:57 am

Hi All; This is not just for ChurchLady but everyone. If there are guns in the house, get rid of them. If need be ask the local police to help with this by coming and confiscating them. Let the liciencing bureau know not to give a licence to your LO. You don't know when this behaviour will show up and you don't want to be the one to die from a gun shot. Please do this and be safe. Anne

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next