View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Depression 

Post Depression
Hi! I just joined this forum last week and it has been a comfort. As I put in my other post, we went to Emory in Atlanta Wednesday and found out that my Dad is in the earlier stages of LBD than we thought, his hallucinations, balance, etc were due to the Parkinson meds. It is a relief to have at least somewhat normal time with my Dad - but we are dealing with increasingly worse depression. It could be worse because he finally heard what he has from Emory (even though he is very much in denial and won't talk about it). I really would like to hear experiences/advise on two things.

He was on Wellbutrin - the neurologist decided to half his dose and add Zoloft (about 1 week ago). He is also on Seroquel which really seems to help. Emory said we could discontinue his morning does, but now he seems to get depressed even earlier in the day, so we are going to resume his morning dose. Any experience with these meds?

Also, he gets so depressed (generally begins in the evening, but earlier lately), he cries (very unusual for my Dad), he calls anyone he can think to call, he always wants someone at the house with him and Mom, conversely - he always wants to go somewhere - WalMart, anywhere - often at 10 or 11 at night. He seems desperate - his eyes can look a little wild, and he can not be still. He will pace and says he is going crazy. My question - mom and I are struggling on how to handle. Lately, she has been trying to have an activity with friends or me every night - doing what Dad needs to do. However, this is wearing her (and their friends and me) out. She wants to tell Dad that this is something they need to work through together sometimes without going out or having people over. But we are also worried he may be suicidal - how do you balance?? He has finally agreed to see a therapist and we are trying to find one, but in the interim it is a day to day struggle.

Fri May 04, 2007 6:15 pm

Robyn --Has your Dad been evaluated by a psychiatrist? Jerome is bi-polar and has OCD ... along with the DLB we have a trifecta! Neither of these are conditions that his neurologist or GP felt comfortable managing. Jerome is on fluoxetine (prozac) and has been for many years to control the OCD and the depression. He is also on trileptal for the bi-polar. His drug regimen has been reviewed by a neurologist and a psychiatrist at the Mayo and they agreed it was good. Your Dad may need drug therapy more than talk therapy, so I urge you to get a psychiatric consult for the depression and anxiety. Good luck!

Sat May 05, 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks SO MUCH for the reply. My Dad is very ready to see a psychiatrist and work on his meds - he really is having a bad day today. I sent this to my Mom, who reads the forum but I haven't set her up yet to be able to post replies. Her and Dad are going to the neurologist tomorrow and they will try to get the name of a psychiatrist.

Sun May 06, 2007 4:48 pm
I sent this to my Mom, who reads the forum but I haven't set her up yet to be able to post replies. .

Hi Robyn,
I just wanted to let you know there is an online support group for Spouses and also another group for any one, if interested let me know I will get you the link, Both great groups and they deal with every day things and then some! :)

Sun May 06, 2007 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]