View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 mixing up night and day 

Post mixing up night and day
Anyone have any suggestions for helping a LO know the difference between night and day? Along with constant trouble with reading the clock, my mom is having increased difficulty knowing whether she should be in bed sleeping or up and dressed. She is in assisted living and so far I think she's been ok (finding someone in the hall at night or early in the morning to tell her what time it is) but I worry about her. If anyone has any suggestions... I've also heard of something called a time of day clock (hour hand only and takes 24 hours to go around) but can't find any for sale on the internet, just suggestions on how to make one. Has anyone tried this and has it worked?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Post Re: mixing up night and day
EricSEA reported here years ago that he used a "meal clock" successfully with his family member with dementia. Do a search on "meal clock," and I think you'll find a link to his (old) "pragmatic caregiver" blog.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:28 am

Just wondering...is this typical behavior for an LBD patient? Not knowing whether it is daytime or nighttime much of the time? Any medications help? Does Melatonin help with this? Mom's neurologist says it just helps patients fall to sleep easier in the evening, but doesn't help with the internal "clock."

Robin, thanks for the suggestion of the meal clock. I admit that I haven't done this yet. Wondering where to buy a clock that has a 24-hour setting that I can easily take apart and make a new face for it...

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:11 am

It is very common behavior. My husband has not known night from day for years and seems uninfluenced by the sun or other 'clues'. His neurologist explains that the part of his brain that distinguishes diurnal changes is 'broken'.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:16 am

Same here, we had the days and nights mixed up for some time but that too came to a pass and we moved onto other sleep patterns, nothing is forever in this illness it is always changing, sorry wish I could give you the magic fix !

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:49 am
Profile WWW

My mom also has this problem, even when she's doing well cognitively. We just kind of "go with the flow" on this one.
I've been looking for a clock that has large numerals and a pm indicator.
Ellen

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:23 pm

I am seeing this problem with my husband lately. He has been getting ready to go to bed mid afternoon. He will also pick out clothing to wear instead of night clothes. Once he is in bed, he sleeps through most of the night.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:23 pm

My husband is not mixing up day and night but needs me to help him not only position himself in bed (as if he has forgotten how to move his body to be comfortable without my help) but will also wake me during the night to help him back into bed and to cover him w/ sheet and/or blanket. This sometimes can happen 4 or 5 times a night and even more during the day. Rightly or wrongly, I have stopped trying to keep him out of bed when he wants to nap because he would just get so frustrated that we both decided it wasn't worth stressing both of us out. Oftentimes I will ask him to please try not to wake me during the night because I can not get back to sleep. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. He is taking 100 mg Seroquel...started with very low low dosage and 1/4 25/100 levodopa which is to be increased very gradually depending on the amount of side effects. Have any of you out there had similar behavior with your LO???

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:42 pm

I have exactly the same problem. Asking him to not wake me does not work, he does not remember. Actually, the next day he does not even remember waking me up. I do get him settled in bed - the first time he wakes me I do help him to the bathroom, get a drink or whatever he wants. Once I know he is OK I have been sleeping in the spare room (right next to the room he is in). If I am not in his room, he seems to manage just fine on his own. He has not had to call me once. This has been going on for about 8 months now, not every night but at least twice a week. Right not he takes 1.5 Seroquel (25/100) four times a day which has improved his movement significantly without any apparent side effects - he is slight confused but nothing that is worrying.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 pm

My mom has been taking a very, very low dosage of Seroquel before bedtime which has been helping her sleep through the night a little better, and seems to help create a better pattern of night and day. A regular schedule seems to be helping a little.

Does Seroquel help with movement? Interesting...I have never heard that before. My mom started on it because of hallucinations. She is on Sinemet for movement.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Sorry..my husband is on seroquel (125) for hallucinations & sinemet for movement (1/4 pill 3 x a day). The seroquel is helping his sleep. I didn't make it clear. The sinemet increased hallucinations some so won't be increasing til they stop at the 125 instead of 100.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]