View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 More hallucination problems 

Post More hallucination problems
My mum has been diagnosed for approx 2 years wiht LBD although in total I think she has had it for about 4 yrs. For the last few months she ahs kept seeing my niece (her grandaughter) that she used to have come and stay with her during the school holidays. (now aged 17)

She is convinced she is there although she does sometimes accept that they are an halucination (on a good day). The problem is that when she sees her she is at different ages. From a baby of a few months - to a little toddler and small girl of about 8. We have sent a recent picture for her but it doesnt help.

Sometimes she gets quite worked up about it because she thinks she is in charge of looking after her and she says that the little girl wont speak. She often thinks she is ill and other times she says that she pops her head up behind the sofa and peeps at her.

The reason I raise it that she now is saying she just cant cope with it, she wants us to do something about it and what she means is that she cannot look after her anymore (not that she wants medication) Its been going on for months and we are not sure how to deal with it,. We do try to talk to her about it being an hallucination and ask her questions, sometimes its worth changing the subject - I keep hoping a new phase will come in and take over this but it hasn't happened. When she said that my niece was a tiny baby in the spare bedroom I suggested that she perhaps didnt go in there because it upset her . So agreed to stop going in but then said she appeared downstairs in the living room !! - any ideas. My niece has even called her on the phone as she lives 200 miles away , this helps for a short while. The only medication she is on at the moment is excelon near the full dosage. Is there any meds for hallucinations? or would a physicatrist help>>>

Tue May 01, 2007 8:45 am

Sorry your Mum is going through this with the hallucinations, you are doing the right things....this part of LBD is so awful.

Our Mum was hospitalized last summer and for a while the hallucinations ceased, at the time she didn't see things outside of her home. Anyway she had to move wards during her stay and the disruption caused them to come back. She also saw some of her grand children especially her grandson, mostly he was a little boy hiding and getting into mischief, it made her so worried and we found it heart rending, as I'm sure you do.

Her psychiatrist prescibed Quetiepine a dose of 25mg and this settled things down for her considerably. Her dose has been increased to 50mg and although she still has hallucinations...they're not so frightening and she can reason with herself (sometimes)...

Hope this helps a little, I'm sure others will have much more scientific answers for you.

Thinking of you
Kind regards
Dawn

Tue May 01, 2007 9:54 am

Post More hallucinations
Many thanks for your comments in directly they are quite similar. Useful info on the medication I think I need to discuss ideas with the doctor to see if something could be given to help. The trouble is balancing this off with any side effects she could get. Useful info

Tue May 01, 2007 5:36 pm
Post Re: More hallucination problems
bevbutt wrote:

The reason I raise it that she now is saying she just cant cope with it, she wants us to do something about it and what she means is that she cannot look after her anymore (not that she wants medication) Its been going on for months and we are not sure how to deal with it,. We do try to talk to her about it being an hallucination and ask her questions, sometimes its worth changing the subject - I keep hoping a new phase will come in and take over this but it hasn't happened. >>>

Hi Bev,
Please try and understand you are trying to reason with a demented person who can't really grasp what you are trying to tell her and I am sure it is a phase, they are not Hallucination but more delusions perhaps they could give her some seroquel to calm her a bit, but other than that not to much you can do except like you say redirect her thinking which isn't easy either. Good Luck! :)

Tue May 01, 2007 7:26 pm

If our LO sees people that she knows or had known, would this be classed as a delusion rather than an hallucination? Having said that is it then necessary to introduce another medication such as seroquel on top of the Quetiepine?

Gosh it just goes on and on doesn't it?

Many thanks
Dawn

Wed May 02, 2007 3:20 am

You've got me thinking now about the definition. Never given it much thought before. The dictionary doesnt define too clearly but I found this from another website

Words to Know
Delusions: Incorrect beliefs about reality that are clearly false.

Hallucinations: Images, sounds, or odors that are seen, heard, or smelled by a person, but do not exist in reality.

Either way very useful info and the medication suggested by both is something that I will discuss with the doctor and family

Bev

Wed May 02, 2007 7:06 am

Hi Irene
If our LO sees people that she knows or had known, would this be classed as a delusion rather than an hallucination? Having said that is it then necessary to introduce another medication such as seroquel on top of the Quetiepine?

Gosh it just goes on and on doesn't it?

Many thanks
Dawn

Irene
Please forgive the above question, I really do need to swat up a little more on the medications...had a thought about quetiepine and seroquel and looked it up, remember now ones the brand name!! :oops:
Dawn

Wed May 02, 2007 7:56 am
Irene
Please forgive the above question, I really do need to swat up a little more on the medications...had a thought about quetiepine and seroquel and looked it up, remember now ones the brand name!! :oops:
Dawn[/quote]

Dear Dawn, There is nothing to forgive, I give you credit for getting out here and trying to find the answers to this illness, Hallucinations are things like, Bugs, or say a horse sitting in the Living room things that we know are unreal, Delusions are more things that could happen like small children or pets.
Most of the hallucinations with LBD are not freightning to the person , seroquel is a med that can help "some" but if these things she is seeing is not harmful than leave it at that because if you start to use the meds now what's going to be left when it gets rough, LBD people are so limited to what they can take and so many meds can be very harmful to them, I think if you just let her know you believe what she see's but you can't see it , it may help! :)

Wed May 02, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks Irene, you always deliver giving us the confidence to continue the way we are

~Dawn

Wed May 02, 2007 9:54 am

Hallucinations refer to visions of people, animals or things that are not there, e.g. a small child, a favorite pet, or a table. Hallucinations are things that in REAL life you could touch if they existed.

Delusions refer to circumstances, connections, conspiracies, or relationships that don't exist. Having experienced these a lot with Jerome, I'm pretty good at offering examples. On a trip a year ago, he became convinced for no reason that I had been in this hotel before, with a lover no doubt, etc. etc. Another time last year when we had to call 911 as Jerome was raging, he become convinced that the County Sherrifs, myself and our doctors had been in a long-planned conspiracy to lock him away so the rest uf us conspirators could throw parties in our house.

Luckily, these weird delusions only occur every few months so far ... and (knock on wood) no hallucinations yet (atypical for DLB).

Hope that helps clarify the difference ...
Best,

Sat May 05, 2007 10:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]