View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 sundowning 

Post sundowning
Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience with Sundowning. Every thing I have looked up refers to AD, but I know Mom does not have AD. I know she has multi-infarct dementia with possible LBD.
Some new behavior has started within the last month or so. Mom lives in Independent Living and usually takes a nap in the afternoon. That said, whether she takes a nap or not, around evening time, any where between say 5 pm and 8:30 pm she becomes very confused, and decides it is time to go to breakfast. The dining room at IL is usually locked up around 6 or 7. She becomes very agitated and sits outside the dining room waiting for breakfast, sometimes until after midnight. Any attempts from me, from the staff, from anyone to persuade her that it is night time and the dining room will open at 8 tomorrow morning just gets her more agitated and sometimes almost violent.
This is causing a lot of sleepless nights, making the next day that much harder and medications not being taken properly. Is there a med that can help? I will be talking to her DR. this weekend as she is in the hospital at the moment. Fell and broke her hip and will be getting a hip replacement. I know confusion and agitation will be greater while in the hospital and rehab, but the same thing is still happening. In the evening at some point she still decides it's time to get up and go to breakfast.
Any suggestions will help.
Jennifer

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:07 am
Sundowning so they say is not part of LBD so to speak but I can tell you it does happen, it happened to us, my Husband would start in or around the 4-5 pm time slot and from there on it was straight down hill, we did start seroquel and as time went on the "sundowning" appeared earlier in the day and perhaps you are right it could have something to do with the afternoon naps, is there a way that you could use a chalk board on the wall in her room and it just might help her remember the day is still the same, maybe you could call her each morning and get her to write the date??? Just a thought, Sorry to hear about her hip and I do hope the hospital is CAREFUL with what meds they use! You may need to remind them!! :wink:

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:15 am

Trust me, I spoke to each and every member of the anesthesia team before surgery. They used a spinal block with a sedative instead of general anesthisia. She came through it like a champ. Knows who I am and where she is.
She has digital clocks in every room that spell out the day, date and time, including am and pm. When she is in that state of mind, the clocks and every body around are just WRONG. I call every day around 1 pm, and she knows what day and time it is. After 4 pm...............?
Jennifer

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:10 pm
I am glad your Mom did so well with her surgery, you have been such a good advocate for her, I wish her a speedy recovery with this hip surgery, as to the after 4:00 pm issue we will have to see what others offer here! :)

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:44 pm

My LO gets very confused around 6 P.M., later some evenings. She naps, then wakes up and thinks it's morning instead of evening. Doesn't know what day it is. Nights are when she has most of the bad flare ups, also early mornings. Takes longer & longer for her to quiet down. As time passes, the bad nights are more freguent.

Mid afternoons seem to be the best times.

#1daughter

Caregiver to 84yr. mother w/LBD & 83yr. dad w/PD

Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:55 pm

What about knocking her out with a sleep medication, such as Klonopin or trazadone (anti-depressant that causes drowsiness)?

You might give behavioral modification a try. EricSEA discusses this approach (and how to create a "meal clock") at:
http://pragmaticcaregiver.blogspot.com/ ... art-1.html

This is the best thing I've read on sundowning:
http://www.alzla.org/dementia/sundowning.html

Robin

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]