View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New TV show, "Boss," a disappointment 

Post New TV show, "Boss," a disappointment
I just saw the first Boss show. The lead character has just been diagnosed with LBD. It was disappointing.
The major impression you are left with is what a horrible, foul mouthed powermonger he is. I lost count of how many times the f word was used, followed only by the s word. The foul language was gratuitous and not needed in such excess to develop the characters.
The initial description of LBD was a mixed bag and when Boss takes his first illegally bought pill---he gets 3 different meds from a drug dealer at one time!!---I just shook my head and went, "Right, like you can do this without a doctor's close supervision with LBD!"
He also has no one who is acting as his caregiver when he is diagnosed, which does create some dynamic tension in the plot.
I wish this show had been handled differently. It has potential if only the approach had been different. I won't watch it again.
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Post Re: New TV show, "Boss," a disappointment
I agree. I won't be watching. I don't get STARZ. But I do hope that they show him getting into a lot of trouble by self-medicating. These are dangerous drugs if not taken under medical supervision. My impression was that the show was more about dirty politics than about a man with LBD. I wonder why they chose LBD.

Kate

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Kate,

I think they choose LBD…because FEAR sells….just like SEX…and CRIME….and BAD LANGUAGE…BAD GUYS….VICTIMS….BAD GUYS who are also VICTIMS, that VICTIMIZING others….

oh wait….this show has all of that….and one more…..LIES….

SEX, LIES, and Videotape…..

They are using LBD in this show, just as you would use a gun, in a series if you were a anti gun person….

to scare the HELL out of the audience…..but for what purpose?

Not as in the case of the anti gun person with an agenda to push an anti gun agenda….

The agenda here is to make money off of fear….and at the same time claim they are promoting awareness of 'RARE' medical condition that kills in 3 to 5 years, and the only alternatives the patient has is to…..

Hide his condition and self medicate with street drugs……or submit to drug or physical restraint……(Great PSA…good work)

'BOSS' if you are trolling here…..contact me….before my 3 to 5 years are up and see how I really feel…..or show me I am wrong….

….
okay…..if I wasn't personally invested in this….as so many who view this won't be….what's the harm? its just entertainment….
or in the case of caregivers….probably more in the future than now…..the show could actually do some good…..LONG in the FUTURE…..
I see NOTHING but HARM right now…..

it is going to make everyone who doesn't know better scared to death of me….

somebody out there……make something that shows how quality of life for all can be enhanced and lengthened by…..
Knowledge, Prescibed Medications, working together…..HARD work…..TOLERANCE……DEDICATION….all the things you caregivers do….and are learning about new things to do….
Programs like Mayo Clinic's…..HABIT program for MCI…..

they will make money….they will make a difference down the road…..
they could have made a good difference for me……now…..

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 pm

As a member of the LBD community, I'm not happy about the portrayal of LBD or the association of LBD with this TV character.

Also, the TV show got at least one fact dangerously wrong. The MD says that "haloperidol might be given for the neuroleptic side."

I wish show's producers had picked FTD rather than LBD. I don't think this is publicity/awareness that the LBD community needs.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:42 pm

I wholeheartedly agree.

So I wonder. Why are visitors to the lbda.org home page greeted with a big picture of Kelsey Grammer? I followed that link and there is nothing there about the errors the writers have made or the reaction of caregivers.

Kate

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:03 pm

from Craig: "somebody out there……make something that shows how quality of life for all can be enhanced and lengthened by…..
Knowledge, Prescibed Medications, working together…..HARD work…..TOLERANCE……DEDICATION….all the things you caregivers do….and are learning about new things to do…."

Craig, I am trying as hard as I can to make that something that you describe that will show another side of LBD in the early stage for the caregiver and the patient. It shows the pain, but is also full of hope for enhancing and lengthening the good days. It is in the publishing stage at this point and hopefully will be out in a few months.

Craig, I am so saddened by your other comment that people might now be afraid of you due to the harsh words on the show. That is so not fair or right.

Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Kate, I agree with you. I was not pleased to see Kelsey Grammer's face today either. I wish they would remove it.
Pat

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Weird about the opening splash. It almost looks like an endorsement of the show. Perhaps it is intended to appeal to anyone who came here because of seeing the show and wanting more information. Reasonable theory but I doubt the show inspired people to look up the disease.

Do you suppose the show authors chose Lewy Body because it is not well known and they could get away with more creative license?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Kate,
I agree. I don't think the LBDA should have the STARZ show on its homepage without education to go along with it.
Robin

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:31 pm

TV is TV. I don't expect a lot of reality, especially on cable. I won't watch it again just because I don't like that type of show. Give me a "Castle" or a "Harry's Law."

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]