View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Pneumonia and Treatment 

Post Pneumonia and Treatment
My Mom had to be brought to the Dr last Friday...she was wheazing and coughing...she lays in bed most days, only to get up for meals and maybe perks up a bit in late afternoon, but besides bed is just sitting in a chair, not moving around. So the Dr says she has touch of bronchitis but I would bet she has pneumonia. The Dr(who is not her normal Dr) put her on Levaquin(antibiotic). She has been taking it since Friday, once a day. She has been very weak, hardly able to get out of bed for like two weeks, yesterday, she got up at 7 am on her own, went to the bathroom, got dressed, went to leave the bedroom, my Dad finally woke up when he heard her trying to leave the room, this is a woman who cannot usually do this all for herself. Since the beginning of the summer she has really declined. So she does this yesterday, and for alot of the day was more alert than usual. She began to question how my Dad is paying for the house and how he is paying for her care..she normally wouldn't even talk much...she did go through a few months of wanting to "go home" and trying to leave the house..but that has calmed down. What do we make of this? Now today she doesn't want to get up out of bed. Slept until woken up...and gosh she is wheazing so bad..it makes it hard to be in the room with her to hear that. I am thinking that its not a good thing having any kind of bronchitis or pneumonia for her.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:55 pm

Post Re: Pneumonia and Treatment
Hi Tara,

Sorry to hear that your mom is sick. Did the MD do a chest xray?

"What do we make of this?" This is the very normal rollercoaster ride of neurodegenerative dementia -- up and down, both physically and cognitively.

Robin

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 pm

I don't know about your area, but there is a nasty respiratory illness going around here. Coy's doctor had it herself and she said it took 4 weeks to get over it. Coy went through a round of antibiotics and he usually improves over that period but he was still coughing. We saw his doctor last week (week 4 for him) and she said his lungs are clear now and the infection is cleared up. His main complaint is that he is very weak and tired.

He has been having minor delusions, unsteady gait, and more confusion during his illness. He is not eating well. One day last week he went to bed with a delusion about noon. He got early evening and said, "Are you ready to go to dinner now?" He said he hadn't gone out lately (true!) and he wanted to go to a restaurant we haven't been to in years. So, what the heck, we went. I figured he wouldn't stay alert long enough for our order to come, but we would have it packed up to go. He stayed alert, was chatty through the meal, made sense, and ate a bigger meal than he had in three weeks! And the next day he was back to clearly being sick.

The fluctuations when he is sick are always more pronounced than when he is well.

It is always scary when he develops a sick cough. Since I got this illness too I was pretty sure it was not aspirational pneumonia. And I keep hearing of other people who have had "a bad cold" that hung on for weeks.

Coy is recovering, slowly. I expect he'll be back to baseline in a couple of weeks.

I hope that your mom is better soon, too!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 pm

I don't think she had a chest xray, my dad didn't mention she had one..she has so much chest congestion..I had to leave the room the rattling of it was so bad, made me feel like I couldn't breathe. I feel bad for her. But why would she be able to all of a sudden move around with no help, like only have one good day? It is baffling

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]