View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Excessive sleeping 

Post Re: Excessive sleeping
Thank you so much...I will try to make time to watch it tomorrow.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:44 pm

I did watch the youtube video and it was very good information. I feel more confident going into these last days with my sweetheart. It did last an hour and a half. The article was good information as well. Thank you so much.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks Pat, extremely informative and exactly what I needed. Answered many, many questions that I had.
Ger x

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:56 am

My Mom gets woken up in the morning, she goes to the bathroom, is brought out to the kitchen to eat her breakfast, she almost falls asleep eating...then the aide gets her washed up, teeth brushed, then she gets back in bed...depending on which aide is with her...she gets woken up about 9:00 but by the time she gets out of bed its 9:30...she will sleep all morning..she used to just be laying down with eyes closed, not really sleeping, but lately she is sleeping, like snoring, mouth open sleeping. She gets woken up for lunch, she eats, then could either sit in the chair or go back and lay down, again depending on the aide, but she could basically sleep all day, I don't think she wakes up and wants to eat...they tell her its time to eat...if she is sitting in the chair she will keep looking at her watch because she knows at a certain time she eats her lunch, dinner etc..but if not woken up, she would sleep round the clock. It concerns me...I know its probably that her brain needs this rest..but not sure..is it best that she is left to spend her day sleeping or should she be made to get up. The aides have to bargain with her to get up, like watch a certain show she may like...but while watching it she may shut her eyes...she is just so much more tired lately. This this like an end stage behavior? Not sure my Dad tells the Dr how much she is sleeping.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Sounds like she could be in the final stage. What does her dr. say? Perhaps you need to talk with the dr. If she needs to sleep, I'd let her sleep and not force her to get up unless there is a good reason for it. Lynn

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Not sure what my Dad tells the Dr...sometimes I think my Dad feels that its more peaceful when she's sleeping, I kinda get that..but I was not able to go in the room at the last appointment so I don't know if he told him how much sleeping she's doing. She has lost some weight and really doesn't want to eat what she normally eats...she doesn't remember what she might like, but she won't eat what she used to...she barely drinks anything. She has very bad balance problems, needs help walking

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Wow! You pretty much described my MIL. She sits in her chair when the caregiver is here, but dozes on and off all day. But on the weekends she gets her pills and goes back to bed, gets up at anywhere between 10:30 and 11:30 am. Gets breakfast, we get her dressed and bathed, she goes back to bed, gets up at around 2:30 pm, eats some lunch at her chair (but no taste or smell left), goes back to bed, gets up at 5-ish, eats supper, goes to bed at 7:30 pm. Won't go for car rides. Hates having visitors. Only leaves her room at precisely 5 pm to sit with me and my husband in the living room until supper, but sticks her face in the same magazine day after day because she can't follow our conversation. Doesn't talk unless asked a direct question and then can't really answer. Sad. :(

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 am

Just watched the video "Gone From My Sight". It explains so much about my Mom's behavior right now. It also helps me to know how to care for her. She has all three of the first signs that the presenter talks about...eats very little (states clearly that she wants no meat), has increased her naps dramatically, and has told me not to invite anyone else in to her room. No more activities. She wants it to be quiet. Even the eye sign is there. I have been finding myself looking closely at her eyes to see if she is awake because they seem to be partially open while she is sleeping. Now I know why. I have been doing my usual thing of watching for side effects to medications, but these aren't side effects. My approach to caring for her will be different now and I hope more comforting to her. She went on hospice two weeks ago and I need to learn from them. Thanks for posting the link to the video. Annie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:53 am

The eyes at half-mast seem to be with many of our local support group members for years.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:42 am

Watched the video yesterday. I highly recommend it. I see some of the signs in my MIL, particularly the napping more and more frequently. Also, she is beginning to leave food on her plate, which she never did until recently. Her weight has gone from 124 a year ago to 118. Not a huge loss, but it has been steady, ounce by ounce. She closes her door to keep us out and only joins us when we invite her to the deck or the living room. She was on hospice for about six months a year ago, but was released because she began to show signs of improvement. The hospice agency called today to ask about her. Talk about timing! I filled them in and they are coming to the house this weekend to reevaluate her. We shall see.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Ye are all so lucky to have hospice. I watched the video and it has described Dad's decline to a T. Unfortunately, we don't have that service here in Ireland, and we continue to fight for his comfort re pain meds. He is very weak and has not much fight left in him now. I have not posted, as he has been at death's door several times and has always fought back, but comes back so much weaker than before. All the signs in the video are there, the staring into space, the sleeping constantly, the lack of appetite. It was an excellent video and really helped me so much. I just so wish I could win the lottery and fly a private jet over there and get that lovely lady, Barbara Karnes, to look after my poor Dad. It is heartbreaking looking at him suffering and not being able to do anything to help him.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3