View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mom's getting worse. 

Post Re: Mom's getting worse.
Ger,
Thanks - I changed my wording....thank you for that comfort!
Best to you.....
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Tonya, I hope you weren't offended by what I said. There was no need to change your wording, you say what you feel. I'm sorry if I upset you in any way. It was not intended. God Bless,
Ger xx

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:33 am

Ger - no you didn't offend me at all!!! - actually I was thinking about my wording before you replied - I did't mean to be abrupt in my last post....on the contrary I was quite comforted by what you said and I didn't want to leave my post that way...because you are so right.....Please forgive me, sometimes I have a hard time with words and expressing myself and especially on posts or emails where one can't offer facial expressions or gestures to help communicate......I hope I didn't upset you!! I think you are wonderful! :)

Best,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:45 am

How would you upset me?!!!!! Not at all,
God Bless, Ger xxx

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 am

Craig, Tonya, everybody, I don't consider the thread sidetracked. I wrote about things that were upsetting me and you turned it into something positive!

As horrid as this disease is, there are moments that I wouldn't change for the world. There are times when I've seen a bit of heaven in my mom's eyes. Sometimes caring for Mom can feel like - I'm not going to say this right, but I'll try - it feels sacred. My grandmother cared for her mother through the Spanish flu - both survived. My mother cared for my grandmother when she went through dementia (we don't know what kind). And now, in the tradition of my many mothers, I continue the honor.

Please don't ever think of yourself as any kind of burden. Mom did that and it was so frustrating to try to explain the joy I found, and still find, in caring for her. It is my privilege and I can't even begin to put into words the feelings it has given me. Love for another has never been so real to me as it is now.

I hope your families all experience the moments of joy I've found in this. Would I want another in this situation? Never. But being in the situation, make the most of it. There are things you and your family will experience that will not be found anywhere else.

Please keep this thread going the direction it wants to go. There is tremendous comfort here.

Thank you all.

Kate

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:27 am

I agree with Kate... and you stated it more beautifully than I ever could. I consider it an honor to be able to care for my mother through this. I wouldn't want anyone else doing it but me. My mother and father raised 10 children and I can't imagine that, I consider being her caregiver now just a small way to give back the love she showed us.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:34 am

Kate, Ger, all,

Thank you for such beautiful words - I do know what you mean about the "sacredness" of caring for someone that way - when my (Irish) :P Grandmother was terminally ill with cancer and I could visit and try to care for her and simply spend time with her - it was truly sacred...even her hospital room felt like a sacred place if that is possible...I can't explain it, but the entire process was filled with many blessings...she showed me without a doubt her strong faith that everything was going to be okay....I know I will see her again one day and we will be together again - in fact many times I feel she has never left me.....I still feel her presence strongly....especially since I have been ill.....every little thing was beautiful to her and she taught me so much through that time.....about life and death....and all the beauty there is around us all the time and how to be grateful for every moment.....Thank you all for everything - this thread has been really helpful.....Kate I read your mother was on an AB and I hope she gets some better very soon....thank you again everyone....

Best,
Tonya

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2