View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Oh dear, double doses! :( 

Post Oh dear, double doses! :(
Last night while getting Coy's bedtime pills out I didn't realize that the other latches weren't closed on his weekly box and out came a full day's worth instead of just the night pills. I started sorting them and realized I was too tired to do a good job, so I left the pile of pills on the counter and took his night pills from another day. I planned to sort them today when I was more alert.

They weren't there today.

Coy (who is definitely subpar today) tells me he saw them on the counter before he went to bed and figured he must have forgotten to take them, so he did.

Argghhh.

I'm not even sure which pills he took, because some may have fallen on the floor and scuttled under appliances. I'll bet that taking double his seroquel accounts for sleeping so long and being befuddled this morning. I think I won't give him any pills today, and start again at bedtime. Or maybe I should wait until tomorrow morning. ? Yikes, what a mess. At least it wasn't more than a day's worth of any pill.

I am going to bring the pill boxes into my office and try to enforce the policy that he only takes pills I give him. The first year I kept them in locked cases. But he can now take the few pills he needs before breakfast on his own and I don't have to worry about him taking extra. Or I thought I didn't. This was an exceptional circumstance that isn't apt to be repeated, but better safe than sorry, I guess.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Post Re: Oh dear, double doses! :(
Sounds like you dodged a bullet. If he took them last night they should all be out of his system by tonight so you should be able to give him his bedtime meds. Stuff happens! :|

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:04 pm

He is really out of it today. He is doing stuff that I expect when he is sick or stuff I would have expected in the beginning. I gave him a cup of tea and his plastic bottle of lemon juice (as I do nearly every day). I said, after you put the lemon juice in your tea, put it on the cup warmer. When I came back in the room the plastic bottle was on the little cup hot plate, and his tea was cooling on his table! Well, I guess that is what I said! :lol: I thought the fact that he was so thrilled with the cup warmer to keep his tea warm over the long period he drinks it and that he has been using it for several months now would make a simple reminder sufficient. Not today, I guess.

Last night, before the bedtime pills, we played sudoku and he did just fine. Mental skills sharp. Not today. I know the ol' Lewy gets lazy and we have bad days for no apparent reason, but I think this bad day has a clear reason.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Dear Jeanne,

So sorry to hear this happened, but good to know there is an explanation for his changes and that it is most likely he will feel more clear once the extra meds are out of his system and he resumes his normal routine....I know if I change things (meds, sleep) even a little it does affect my day signiicantly.....But hopefully since it was a one time thing it will balance out quickly - like tomorrow I do hope...I used to take seroquel - I took a lot - 400 mg for about two years in 2007-08....It was the only thing that made me sleep...but it did a whammy on me right after I took it - I am pretty sure Lewy had a hold of me at that time since there was already atrophy on my MRI in 2006 but no one had dx it yet.....I am sorry this happened but hopeful that he will feel better very soon....Sudoko! Wow - I never could learn it even before my cognition got worse! He is something and gives me so much hope! I do crosswords but have had to switch from hard ones to easy ones....but that's okay....I like puzzles too...
It sounds like you both have very good daily routines....I think this is something my hubby and I ought to work on.....Thanks for being such great examples and I wish you and Coy all the best.......

Sincerely,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

Oh, Jeanne, I am sure that is so frustrating for you both. I hope things are back to "normal" now and you're back to doing sudoku together!

Tonya, I think puzzles are great for trying to keep your brain active. Sudoku is hard for me too! My mom used to love puzzles and the CSI shows because she loved the puzzle/ mystery aspect of them. I don't think she really pays attention to them like she used to though. Maybe I'll see if I can get her some simpler ones next time I see her.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Jeanne,
I was wondering how Coy is doing today? Has he recovered now? I wish you both all the best!

Jamie - thanks for the encouragement on the puzzles....I loved them since i was a child :) I will keep them going as long as I can.....THanks also about the suduko! lol - I think it's incredibly hard! Good for Coy!! :P and you too Jeanne!!

Best,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:56 am

I have a real aversion to anything with numbers, but I love the game ColorKu, which is like Sudoku but with 9 sets of colored balls instead of numbers. You may want to try it!

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]