View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Time for crushing pills? 

Post Time for crushing pills?
There's a first for everything. After brushing Dale's teeth tonight, he rinsed his mouth with the antibiotic wash and, as usual, spit out the rinse.
Later, when I gave him his night time pills, he took the water into his mouth and then spit the whole mess, pills and water, all over his shirt and the bedding.

I said, "What happened?" He said, "You told me to swallow."

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Post Re: Time for crushing pills?
Or consider switching as many meds as possible to ones that are not in pill form.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:01 pm

The pill thing is hard.... At night, Dale takes Seroquel 100 mg; Klonopin 1 mg; Methadone 5 mg; and Senna Plus.... Doing some of those in liquid form sounds impractical because I would still have some pills to put into applesauce. They are all really small pills. I think I'll just crush them all.

I posted the experience because it is obvious that Dale no longer understands instructions... and I had to change his shirt as well as a wet bed at bedtime!

These are the type of experiences caregivers 'in the trenches' face. Dale can no longer sit up. Changing his shirt is a major effort for me. And, an aide had just been here today to help me bathe him. He was all clean and so was his bedding.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Leone - I don't know what style shirts he wears, but here's a little tip from my experience. My dad loved wearing long sleeve Tshirts in the last year (hated them prior to that). It became so painful for him to have them slipped over his head, so the hospice nurse asked me to cut some of them straight down the back. He wasn't up and moving anywhere anyway, so while he laid in bed it looked like he had the Tshirt on properly, but it was slit down the back so you could put it on him more easily and without increasing his pain. Hope this is helpful to you or someone. Lynn

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks Lynn for the information. Never thought about that. What I did do was to take the button off his pants and sew velcro on instead, works like a charm. Bernie

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:19 pm

There's nothing like Velcro, is there? Kinda like duct tape. You can fix/retrofit just about anything with them. Lynn

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Lynn, did you have to hem those tee shirts up the back so they wouldn't ravel in the wash?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:27 am

I'm laughing, Pat, because I had posted the same message to Lynn ... and it got lost in cyber space. You did it for me. You must be a mind-reader!

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:09 am

I had a very hard time getting dad to take his meds, so the doctor prescribed them in liquid form. I don't know if you can get the meds that Dale is on in liquid, but it is a lifesaver. There is a premeasured pump, so that I just have to give him 4 'squirts' in his drink. It is called ebixa here. It made life so much easier as he refused to take any meds for me.
Great idea about the shirts - I must file that one away as we are not at that stage yet, Thank God. I did buy him trousers with elastic waists. He always used to wear braces, but it was a nightmare trying to change him, and he eventually came around to the idea of comfort before elegance!!! :lol:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:26 pm

I looked up 'ebixa' and it is a combination of drugs used to treat Alzeimer's patients. Dale is in hospice at home and all his Parkinson's medications have been discontinued. The goal now is to make him comfortable. Thanks for the suggestion, Ger.

As I posted in another place, we are not quite 'making him pain free' yet. We've just started to give him morphine.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:12 pm

I think Ebixa = Namenda.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:09 pm

You are right, Robin.. I was thinking 'combination' because of what she wrote about it. She said 'them' and I assumed it was several meds in one liquid. Thanks for the correction.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:14 pm

I didn't hem or in any way finish the backs of the shirts. We only figured this out shortly before he died, so for long term I would have used my serger on the cut edges. As it was, they lasted a few weeks (till he died) and we just tossed them when we cleaned out his room. Lynn

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Sorry guys, didn't mean to confuse anyone. I meant just the ebixa in liquid form. I still have to crush the seroquel and hide it in his food. But Dad's doctor did say there were other meds that are available in liquid form and that if the ebixa didn't work we could try some others (she didn't name them at the time). So far the e.ixa/seroquel combination seems to be working well, so we will stick to what works for nowl

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:27 pm

It's been interesting reading about cutting shirts down the back - great idea as Wayne hates me to take his shirts off over his head. He wears "golf type" shirts but long sleves so there is a large hole for his head.

I am wondering too if Wayne is ready to stop the Siniment. He has trouble swallowing pills and he holds them in his mouth with water sometimes for a long time. Of course they melt and probably taste awful. He actually is holding his 2:30 pills in his mouth right now.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next