View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Differences Between Day/Night Behaviour 

Post Differences Between Day/Night Behaviour
Question: My dh needs all sorts of help in the bathroom of the day...but of the night never wakes me.....I had always joked about no one waking me up when I fell asleep because I have such insomnia. Are there some things which are just conditioned behaviour that never changes?
~~Debra

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Re: Differences Between Day/Night Behaviour
It could be that old habits die hard, as you said. Or that because of day/night confusion he treats the night as if it's daytime (for the rest of us).

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 pm

For some reason my husband, who is not able to walk dring the day, can manage some nights to walk just fine...but only in the middle of the night. He is hunched over in the daytime almost in a fetal position in his wheelchair. When he walks at night, he is upright, head doesn't jut forward and his arms swing naturally at his side. Then, all of a sudden, it is as if he comes to, (and maybe he does, maybe he is in a sleep state with his eyes open) goes rigid and falls. It's the strangest thing. Smiles, Nan

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm

You know, Nan, I have suggested this before, but SO MUCH could be learned about this disease by researchers just by spending weeks at a time, 24/7 with Lewys. It's a very strange disorder with lots of mystifying behaviors.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:16 pm

That's the way they learned things about Sleep Apnea. But then, I am not sure if any of our LO's would stand for being wired up. Del would take them all off in a New York second. But then, if they had them in rooms with two way mirrors, and maybe wired up with glue on leads that had a remote connection, it would maybe work. Interesting, Pat. Wonder if it could be done and what kind of information they would get. Nan

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:34 pm

I have noticed this about my dh also. He can move quite quickly when he first wakes up and is still 1/2 asleep. Then it all goes back to the rigid standing/sitting with his arms up like a statue.

Thanks for the input on this!

~~Debra

nandel8 wrote:
For some reason my husband, who is not able to walk dring the day, can manage some nights to walk just fine...but only in the middle of the night. He is hunched over in the daytime almost in a fetal position in his wheelchair. When he walks at night, he is upright, head doesn't jut forward and his arms swing naturally at his side. Then, all of a sudden, it is as if he comes to, (and maybe he does, maybe he is in a sleep state with his eyes open) goes rigid and falls. It's the strangest thing. Smiles, Nan

Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:51 pm

I have noticed this pattern also with my MIL. It's almost like she's sleepwalking at night with no trouble walking. In the morning it's back to the Lewy shuffle, bent over, arms rigid, dependent on her walker. Go figure.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Two nights in a row, my dh has had a period of "awakening" for lack of a better word. He asks me questions about what day it is and what we will be eating, etc. He talks almost like normal. He hardly talks of the day and does not know one blessed thing if you ask him, nor does he remember talking to me of the night. It usually occurs about 1 hour after giving him his night meds. Coming morning all he will say is "I'm finished."

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Debra - you're probably trying to communicate rationally in a totally irrational situation. You just have to kind of go along with what your LO is saying, right? I found myself agreeing to all sorts of crazy things with my dad, otherwise he'd get very angry or very sad. Lynn

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:29 pm

That is what is so odd...its not crazy...its normal stuff...like reading a book...talking about authors...going to shave tomorrow...not knowing why he is wearing a depends? He will wake up tomorrow and be almost non verbal....I have never seen this before!

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:54 pm

I'm confused, I guess. If he doesn't know why he's wearing Depends, and says "I'm finished" out of context that seems irrational to me, but maybe I'm missing something??? Anyway, I feel bad for what you are going through - it's really tough. Lynn

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:10 am

If I read you right, you are saying he can carry on a conversation in sort of 'normal' tones at night but in the daytime he is almost non-verbal except for set phrases like "I'm finished." That sounds like the verbal equivalent to my husband being able to walk at night upright and with a normal gait and balance but he is asleep. When he wakes up he falls. Your husband talks, in his sleep probably, and it is normal sounding, but the minute he wakes up he returns to his awake mode which is almost mute.

This (especially the walking) is pretty common in LBD. It may also be common to talk normally then but not be able to when awake. Maybe I just haven't heard it. Do others find this to be true?

Doctors say a different part of the brain takes over in the sleep mode and that is why they can do these things. Nan

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:57 am

Nan has it right. The daytime is when all we hear is "I'm finished" which is code for needing the bathroom...and "I have to go to the bathroom" is code for i'm finished in the bathroom. After he goes to sleep at night is when this awakening always happens. This is three nights in a row now. He got out of bed, turned on the light, got his book and glasses...was reading, albeit only on one page and he never made it past a couple of paragraphs....went to the br to check out his shaving stuff saying his beard is out of control. I told him he would not remember this in the am...he poo-pooed at me and said, sure he would! This reminds me of the movie "The Notebook."

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:08 am

My MIL is a totally different person while in her sleepwalking states. During the day we have to place a glass of water in her hand and prompt her to drink or she would never drink anything on her own; however, at night she goes to the bathroom several times and each time fills a glass with water and drinks it! Does not ever remember any of this in the morning. I discovered this when I stayed with her after a hospital stay. Who knows how long it had been going on? One time I told her that after she goes to the bathroom to drink a glass of water to prevent dehydration. Funny that she never could remember to do this while awake, but it became a repetitive behavior during sleepwalking.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:17 am

This AM dh was still at himself asking about lunch and talking about normal things. When I got home from worship, he was gone again and old lewy was back in his place. I was disappointed to say the least.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]