View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Biting knuckles and chewing fingers 

Post Re: Biting knuckles and chewing fingers
It's amazing how creative the intake people can be when they need to be.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Leone - can you get him to stand on a scale?
He can't stand anymore... much less on a scale.
When he goes to the dr. don't they weigh him? He is in Palliative Care. He doesn't go to the doctor anymore. Nurses come to our house.
Does he wear the same size pants, shirts? He doesn't wear normal clothing. He is in bed with a t-shirt, diaper, and a condom catheter.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Have you had to get him smaller t-shirts? Smaller sized diapers? If so, that should be indicative of weight loss. My dad had to be weighed in a chair scale and eventually they couldn't even do that so I have some idea of what you are dealing with. Don't his nurses have some way of convincing hospice of failure to thrive, if nothing else? Lynn

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Lynn: The visiting nurses see him twice a week. They check him head to toe and ask questions about his bowels, what he eats, and they assess his mental state - in addition to checking his vital signs. I'm quite sure they will tell me when it is appropriate to transfer him to hospice and they will do that. Palliative Care and hospice are the same organization.

I feel quite good about the arrangement. The girls who come - there are three of them - are all very supportive of me. They take notes - which I keep in a folder they gave me. They have never found any sores of any kind and are always very complimentary about the way Dale is cared for. They usually say something to him like, "You have an excellent nurse, you know."

They contact the doctor for me. If I needed a doctor to actually see Dale, I can arrange for a 'home visiting doctor' and they will make those arrangements.

The cost is all covered by the insurance we have. We did not sign up for long term care .... but we do have 100 days per year which I can use for respite.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Dale no longer wants anything in his mouth that has to be chewed very much. That includes such items as apple skins and bread crusts. He doesn't need food to be pureed but I do cut everything into very small pieces.

Tonight, he got very alarmed several times when the spoon was approaching his face. I started telling him what the spoon contained and that seemed to help.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2