View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Sexual behaviour & LBD 

Post Sexual behaviour & LBD
I am a caregiver to my husband who was diagnoses with LBD 3 years ago. He is currently on Exelon and his memory is quite good but his physical condition is deteriorating quite rapidly.
Anyone could give me advise on how to cope with sexual demands and anger? I feel that my role of caregiver /vs spouse is more prevalent now and even though I still love and care for my husband, I do not want to be part of a self centered sexual demands as it makes me feel degraded. My refusals are met with a great deal of anger leading to sleepless nights and agitation.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:28 pm

Have you spoken to your husbands Dr's about his aggression? That would be where I would start.
Good Luck
Jennifer

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:28 pm
Post Re: Sexual behaviour & LBD
therese wrote:
I am a caregiver to my husband who was diagnoses with LBD 3 years ago. He is currently on Exelon and his memory is quite good but his physical condition is deteriorating quite rapidly.
Anyone could give me advise on how to cope with sexual demands and anger? I feel that my role of caregiver /vs spouse is more prevalent now and even though I still love and care for my husband, I do not want to be part of a self centered sexual demands as it makes me feel degraded. My refusals are met with a great deal of anger leading to sleepless nights and agitation.

Hi Therese,
Hi , I was wondering if you ever signed onto the caring spouses group on yahoo, I think I remember your orginal post from the LBDA, thats the place you will get the support you need, the forums are great but consisted of all caregivers not just spouses and we also have a person with LBD here. If you haven't done it yet and would like to and and don't have the link to get there please let me know .

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm going to step into a morass here - this is not anything resembling an opinion, it's just an option that could be pursued with your husband's medical team. Don't flame me. This is an *idea*, and I'm running on four hours of sleep today.

If comprehensive treatment of the LBD doesn't result in improvement (and let's call that one from the group of Aricept/Exelon/Razadyne and one from the atypical antipsychotics, and possibly a psychostimulant), one option would be to use one of the hormonal therapies used in prostate cancer. These drugs are widely used in treatment of aggressive sexual behavior in men, and have a proven history of relative safety in older men.

It's just an idea.

Eric

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:36 pm
Profile WWW

Would an anti-depressant supress his sexual appetite? How about salt peter? (Anyone know the song "salt peter in the rhubarb - watch out!"?)

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]