View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Mom'disturbing behavior -- how to approach Dr for medication 

Post Re: Mom'disturbing behavior -- how to approach Dr for medica
Sorry, I tnhought that you were in Wisconsin. Another post I guess. Nan

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm

You go, Girl! If you have the energy to pursue this you are doing a great service not only for your mother but for all the residents who have no one to advocate for them, or whose advocates are too worn down from other battles!

Keep us posted. We are on your side, for sure!

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks for the links. I WILL contact them. It does not make sense to me to start to look for another facility when this one is suppose to be doing what Mom needs. But I will if I have to.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:14 pm

I hope the ombudman will be very helpful and you won't have to move your mom. I am also in a rural area so I understand how hard it is to think of finding another facility, most likely much less convenient.

I would think that an inquiry from the state or ombudsman would have a sobering effect on the facility. Good luck!

Julianne

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:17 pm

I called again this morning. Mom and again refused to take her meds and they again threw them away. So I asked to speak to the DON. She again explained that the law requires them to deliver medications within a strict time frame (an hour before or and hour after). I knew that. And the meds must be destroyed (in this case thrown away) if they are refused.

So I asked if the time of the meds are given be changed. So they are going to try at noon or in the evening. I also asked that a psychotropic be perscribed and I specifically asked for Serosquil. She said with my verbal permission they would have a psychologist see her and he would decide what med and the dosage. Of course you got to get her to take it but at least I wasn't being totally shut out. I think I may have offended a couple of the staff nurses probably by going over their heads. That may be why I was so frustrated yesterday.

I told the DON about Mom being in the crowded diningroom and how the other residents were so upset with Mom. AND I described how she curled up in a fetal position and cried. The DON would have to be totally heartless not to feel bad. BUT I also called the Division of Aging. They have not called me back yet.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:35 pm

I hope you also called the ombudsman.

I also have challenges in dealing with the DON and staff without offending them. It is hard. I get the feeling that the nurses at my mother's SNF pretty much want to take charge and leave the family out of the process, but because I am health care agent, they have no choice but to involve me to a degree. They really seem to resent it if I call the doctor instead of asking them to do so, but sometimes I ask them and nothing gets done. Past a certain point, I just do what I think is best for my mother, whether the staff likes it or not. LBD is hard enough to deal with--adding these other battles just adds to the stress. I hope you get some help soon!

Julianne

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Yes, I called the ombedsmen. But I have not heard back.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:19 pm

If you hear nothing after a day, I would call back. I wouldn't be embarrassed to be the squeaky wheel.

Julianne

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:20 pm

It will be easier for me to call tomorrow. My office is very active on Wednesday's.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Okay, sorry, I didn't mean to push you. I am just so hoping you can get some help soon!

Julianne

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:03 pm

REALLY sad today. Mom is still refusing meds and not eating or drinking. But the nurse did call me. I was already almost to my office. My husband and I are sharing a vehicle for the moment and I am dropped off in the am and he picks me up in the evening. SO when the nurse called I was already inaccessible. BUT I did with the help of a kind listener come up with a plan. I asked the nurse to look for a bag of peanutbutter cups I left in Mom's room. Mom always eats them when I give them to her. I suggested she hide the meds in one of the peanutbutter cups. No word back so I'm not sure it worked or not.

My boss leaves for a few hours this afternoon and I will try to followup on my calls then.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Went to the NH on Friday morning and talked to the DON. She was very helpful. She explained the law that requires them to destroy Mom's meds AND she also assured me that she would not be put out because of her behavior. She assured me that they would keep trying until something worked.

I also signed a paper for Mom to be seen by a phychiatrist. He perscribed resperidol liquid. I was disapointed that he did not perscribe the seroquil. But after two days on the resperidol Mom is easier to live with. She eats at least one meal a day well (usually breakfast) and she is eating peanut butter cups. I have bought three bags of them so far. Her Dr. laughed and said she could have all the peanut butter cups she wanted. So it looks like this episode is ending well. HOWEVER, I did not get call back from either the obedsman or the Division of Aging. I am disappointed. What if the NH and I had not solved our differences?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:42 pm

I hope it works out for you and I am glad your mom is settled a bit!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 pm
Profile WWW

With the cutbacks in agency funding, maybe they are short staffed at the offices you were trying to reach. I am sorry they did not get back to you. Truly, so often the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Maybe next time (well, I hope there isn't one), a barrage of phone calls would get someone moving. Anyway, I am glad things are better.

Julianne

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:36 pm

We should never be afraid of calling the MD who has written the prescriptions if we feel they are not producing the desired effects !!! IT appears the biggest part of your problem is that your facility didn't use common sense in getting your Mom to take the medications. Good thing you came up with the peanutbutter cup idea!!!
In our case, GW was being over medicated with anti anxiety meds. The ALF wanted to send him to the ER to figure out why he didn't wake enough to eat breakfast or lunch or take his next meds.--I asked them to reduce the anti anxiety med- their reply was they had to give as MD had ordered. We have gotten the MD to change the order to making that one "as needed". Interesting that he has only needed that med one time since the order was changed,over a month ago, and GW is now usually awake with eyes open and responding when I come to visit.
Di

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next