View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mom'disturbing behavior -- how to approach Dr for medication 

Post Mom'disturbing behavior -- how to approach Dr for medication
My mother just had a very disturbing weekend. The nurses literally called me and said I "had" to come and watch my mother because they couldn't. Now, here I am on Monday WAITING for the phone to ring. Really the not ringing is as nerve racking as the calling.

I have been reading this forum and I am beginning to see that her outbursts are part of her illness. So, how do I approach the Dr. with a request that he consider a prn seditive for my mother? She got so bad that the other residents were angry at her. And that just made her behave worse. I eventually, just wiped her chair around and took her back to her room. There in the darkened room she climbed into the bed in a fetal position and cried. I stroked her back and neck until she went to sleep. But, what if they hadn't been able to get ahold of me? Or what if it takes me more then a few minutes to get there? She really NEEDS a medication that they can give her when she gets like that. :shock:

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Post Re: Mom'disturbing behavior -- how to approach Dr for medica
Is your mom in a place that specializes in dementia? If not, is it possible to get her into a place that does? Or another facility where they at least know how to deal with people with dementia more effectively?
I was lucky in that my dad didn't get moved to the dementia unit in his ALF and they were able to handle him in the "regular" part. But, if that hadn't worked out, I had scoped out a dementia facility where I live whose philosophy is "we have no behavioral expectations of our residents. They have dementia. They are going to do what dementia patients do and we work with them." I'm thinking about you and wishing you the best. Lynn

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 pm

I agree about the dementia facility. Only drawback is that most of them [in our area] have waiting lists.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Yes, it makes sense to me, but I hope you have better luck that we did.

My mother is in an SNF (not a dementia unit though). Recently she has become more agitated and, if not disruptive per se, at least a lot more work for the staff.

Her doc prescribed an anti-anxiety drug for her agitation--but the director of nursing refuses to have it administered to her! She says it is a fall hazard. I don't want my mother to fall or be overmedicated, but she used to take anti-anxiety drugs at home and they really helped. Meanwhile, the anxiety behaviors continue. It is very frustrating.

Hope things go better with your mom!

Julianne

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Redlinda, if you mother had an ear infection, or a change in her mobility, or GI problems, would you call the doctor? I would, and I would do the same thing with a sudden and sharp behavior change. The behavior is normal for her dementia, but she (and the other residents!) would probably be a lot happier if it could be avoided. Asking the doctor to explore treatment options for that is perfectly reasonable. It might not be as easy as the first drug you try works great, and you might have to be very vigilant to see that she gets it, but I think it is worth pursuing.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:03 pm

OK now I am really irate. I called the NH to see if Mom had taken her meds and was told no she did not take her meds and the meds have been destroyed. I have asked and asked that they not destroy her meds but call me so I can come and try to give her the meds myself. They are DAILY meds. They do not have to give them just in the morning. In the evening when I can get there would be just as good. But I got NO PHONE call and they destroyed the meds.

Mom and I spent several HOURS in ER Sunday. Mom was not taking her meds AND she became WILD. I ASKED that the nurse call the dr. in the am and ask for a sedative for my mom. She didn't do that. I was called that evening and told I HAD to come and watch my Mom until the EMT's came to take her to the hospital. I went immediately. The only thing the ER dr. did was give her some potassium. Then he sent her back to the NH. Now, on Tuesday, I am told she didn't take her meds again. I can't go there to help because they have already destroyed the meds. So, where will be eventually end up. Back in the ER I suspect.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 pm

Call the nursing hiome ombudsman. Sounds as if they are trying to dump your mom. Also, it will be hard to find a new placement, but I would start looking now. Call her doc and call whatever state agency oversees nursing homes. Cover all the bases. Nan

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 pm

It looks as if this is going to be an ongoing battle as long as she is in the current facility. You could continue to do battle, but it shouldn't have to be that way. Do you have any alternatives?

Julianne

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I don't have a lot of alturnatives. We are in a rural area. How do I find out if they are trying to get rid of Mom. I could just come right out and ask but would that commit me to finding a new place. This place is only a few blocks from our home. It is very convienent for me. It's hard to tell if they are being honest with me. Also, The admin people have assured me that they will not dump her. But the staff are a different story.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Please define this term---nursing hiome ombudsman--- I do not understand.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Many states or counties have ombuds who are responsible for looking out for residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Usually a facility has posted on a community bulletin board the name and contact info of the ombud. Or look in the government section of the phone book.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I'd try to get her out of there asap also. It may not be convenient to have her in another place, but to me, her current situation is clearly not working. If she is further away but in a better situation, you may not need to be there as much and you'll have to adjust your visiting schedule. (I know how hard it is when they aren't near you. My dad was 500 mi. from where I live, and when I went once a month to visit and manage his care it was an 80 mi. rountrip every day. But, I had to do what I had to do.)
Destroying meds? Are they paying for them? I would report any place that didn't make sure my LO got their meds and when they didn't, the people destroyed them. That sounds like pretty crazy behavior to me.
You need to do what is best for you and your mom, and that may mean a change in where she is. Best of luck getting things straightened out and take care of yourself in the meantime. Lynn

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Well, I may have to move her but I am going to make some waves first. This facility is suppose to be an Alzhiemer's facility. They are get all kinds of funds for providing services for dementia patient and this medical power of attorney is MAD. They are listening to me then diregarding what I say. :evil:

I called the Indiana Division of Aging in Indianapolis. I am waiting for them to call me back. I am going to find out why those meds cannot be held or even given at a different time. So I can go there and give her meds. Not that I will have... any more luck but I won't have 50 other patients to give meds to. So I won't be in such a hurry. Plus I want to know why Mom can't be given a sedative when she is upset. I am on a mission and I am going to be satisfied. AND I want to know why a nurse can decide not to ask for a sedatve when the medical power of attorney asked for it. My requests should not be dismissed so easily. It is not that nurses job to decide. If she had gotten that sedative like I asked Mom and I would not have had to spend the evening in ER. Mom may have had a better night. The nature of LBD is periods of aggitation and a sedative was not an unreasonable request. :evil:

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Jul 12, 2010 ... The Long Term Care ombudsman responds to complaints and problems of residents or recipients of long term care, such as care in nursing homes ...
www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/aging/boaltc/ltcombud.htm -

Hope this helps. Nan

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:54 pm

I believe nursing home ombudsmen is at least in part a federal program. And Indiana does have them. Go to this Indiana link about ombudsmen: http://www.in.gov/fssa/da/3474.htm; and this one about nursing home patients' rights (also discusses how to contact ombudsmen): http://www.in.gov/isdh/21582.htm.

Hope this helps,

Julianne

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next