View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Unusual use of words 

Post Re: Unusual use of words
This has gone off-topic... but from cursory reading it doesn't seem the same to me.

Reduplicative paramnesia is the belief that a place exists in two places at once whereas Capgras appears to be a belief that a person has been replaced by an impostor. My mum will sometimes be in one of her apartments and at other times in the other and sometimes wonder how she should get to her bedroom because it is in the other apartment. She once said to me "Who invented this thing where one place is in two places at once? it is very confusing."

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 am

The definition also includes this paragraph: The Capgras delusion is classified as a delusional misidentification syndrome, a class of delusional beliefs that involves the misidentification of people, places, or objects. It can occur in acute, transient, or chronic forms.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:59 am

There is a difference between the two but most people here are layman and refer to duplicate of place (Home) and people as capgras. In fact I believe my husbands Doctor referred to both as Capgras.

Reduplicative paramnesia - Duplicate of place or events

Capras syndrome: Dupicate of people

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:35 am
Profile WWW

starman wrote:
She once said to me "Who invented this thing where one place is in two places at once? it is very confusing."
I love it! Who indeed would invent such a thing?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 am

my Husb. frequently mumbles when he is trying to talk; he'll start the sentence then gradually taper off to a mumble. If I ask him to repeat himself, he'll say the exact same thing, mumbling. Often he cannot carry on a conversation. He'll repeat most of what I say. If i say "it's a nice day today" he'll respond, "it IS a nice day?" - always in a question. However sometimes he surprises me. Like when I took him recently to a new doctor who was kind and put him at ease: he answered every question asked for an hour straight. No mumbling. I hadn't heard him verbalize ANYthing like that in nearly 3 years. The day beforehand, he thought it was June 1925. The day after, he was back to being totally non-communicative. Any body else have this with their LO?? So frustrating....

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:56 pm

Yes, lots of us have experienced things like that. Sounds like what we call "showtime," when our LO pulls it together to act much more coherent than usual when visiting with someone besides us. Shortly after my mother was diagnosed and I had explained her condition to the family, they would call her and then later tell me how she sounded "just fine!" Showtime again. Now, a year later, she isn't able to pull it off anymore, but when she did, I was frustrated because it was almost as if the family didn't believe she was ill.

Julianne

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:02 am

Oh, yes! Showtime. It drives us crazy, doesn't it? Mainly because we feel the doctor [or family member] is not getting an accurate view of our LO's condition. My husband has not been able to pull off showtime for over a year now. He saw a new neurologist two weeks ago and I thought for sure he'd be able to muster up a reasonable sentence or two. He was unable to answer any question accurately except for his name and was unable to complete a sentence. Nothing he said made any sense [to us]--just as in everyday life. I had to wipe a few tears, as I was saddened by this episode even though I was glad the neuro saw his 'true' situation. :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:53 am

Fran does this all of the time, and I have to figure out what he is trying to tell me. Last night he kept telling me to get the cups off of him. At first I thought it was another hallucination, until I realized he was talking about his socks. Bernie

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:23 pm

On bad days I think trying to understand what she is saying is so exhausting! I closely watch every bit of body language and listen carefully, then wait for the one word in a sentence that makes what she has said fall into place. I have to add her current words to all of my knowledge of her history to figure out what the problem is. What is it like? Like learning a foreign language? Like playing a game show? I know it is frustrating to her so I try to remain calm and attentive while I wait for what she is saying to make sense. And she is a talker. At some point she was taught that silences are impolite and need to be filled up. I am successful sometimes when I suggest that we just relax and not talk for awhile.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Lately Frank won't talk, I've tried not asking questions, like, "do you have to go to the bathroom". I take his hand and walk him into the bathroom and undo his clothing, when I'm trying to get the urinal in place he's pulling his pants back up and won't go. Tonight, after two days of him staring at me when I ask him something and just walking away, I asked if he understood anything I said. He shook his head no, I thought, wait a minute, how do you know what I just said. I do think he knows a good deal of what he is doing and is deliberately being difficult. I'd like one of those "sweet" husbands that some of you talk about.

Gerry

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:29 pm

My mom has just started "wandering" this past week. A few days ago Dad realized she wasn't in the house. After a lot of searching, he finally found her in the garden shed with the door shut. She had fallen and needed help getting back up. When he asked her what she was doing in there, she said that she was looking for her conscience. Today I asked her about it, and again, she said she was looking for her conscience. I said, "Mom, your conscience is what tells you right from wrong." She said, "I know." Usually I can figure out what word she means, but not this time. I find it interesting, though, that she used the same word twice, several days apart.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:59 pm

SandwichMom, that is fascinating. Do you think that she could possibly have meant conscience? That she was feeling confused, uncertain what is right and wrong anymore? Obviously looking for it in the garden shed is pretty strange, but I wonder if her wandering just happened at the time she was feeling confused and she put them together? Or maybe it was as simple as looking for a book she'd misplaced! 8)

On a more practical note, does she wear a health alert button? I'm always afraid that Coy won't remember to press his if he were to fall down in the yard or in the garage, etc. But it is at least something that would help, if he can remember to use it.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Wow SM, that is fascinating, and probably frustrating for you and your dad. Some of the health alert buttons only work if the person is inside the house. Does she carry a cell phone since she is mobile and goes out of the house by herself? Lynn

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:38 am

A cell phone with GPS on all of the time....

Kate

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:30 pm

The cell phone worked for a while with my mother when she was at home and her dementia was mild. Later, she could not remember to carry it, so we got her the life alert pendant. She wore the darned thing but would never use it! We kept up the service, just in case, until she went into the SNF, but she never remembered to use it. When she fell, she always just crawled to the phone and called me.

Julianne

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next