View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Wandering - Some advice please 

Post Wandering - Some advice please
I am having more and more incidents with my husband wandering. It has previously been during the night but today he left during the afternoon. He went to the neighbors and said he was locked out of his home. No jacket on (and we have lots of snow). He was carrying his new slippers and new book he received for Christmas. I need to put locks on the doors. I want to get the type that I can lock from the inside so he cannot leave the house. It scares me a bit because I think about safety if we should ever have a fire. Can anyone advise me on the best type to purchase and where I can get them? Thanks.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:00 pm

Post Re: Wandering - Some advice please
Probably the Alzheimer's Store has the best options. alzstore.com

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:07 pm

It really depends , if someone is with him in the home all of the time then you could have dead bolts installed where you use a key on both sides and hang the inside key on a small nail at the top of the frame or you could use inexpensice door alarms which can be bought at a Radio Shack but again the dead bolts will only work if someone else is in the home as you mentioned too risky if there was an emergency!

Good Luck!

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:09 pm
Profile WWW

I used small 'alarms' on all the doors when Lewy began. I got them from a store that sold 'seen on TV' items. They were very effective for us.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 pm

I got some small alarms for the outside doors and set them at night but he took off a few times during the day. I was able to catch up with him and talk him back. He's no longer mobile now and, while safer, it makes me very sad. :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:35 pm

when hubby stated wandering i put on keyed locks from the inside.. it was terrible.. i never had the key, when i needed to out and like others worried about fire.. so took all the keys off, except the one into the garage.. which is the main one he uses al the time.. then i bought baby control knobs, for the door knobs, that just spin when trying to open.. since he has lot of paranoia.. he thinks we are putting them on , so others cant come in.. so each night he goes with me to put them on and each morning i take them off.. i did get a door alarm also.. but havent used it yet.. the trazadone really knocks him out at night, and he has stopped going out at night..

i got all the above at home depot..

good luck i know how scary that is and how hard to try and stay awake and listen to each little noise all night.. imposible!!

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:54 am

I got alarms for the outside doors. I screwed the magnetic parts at the top of each door and they all work on the same chime. I only plug the chime in when Frank is confused and when we have our all-nighter, lately that's been a few times a week. The chime can be set for longer or louder chimes. I didn't want something that rang everytime the door opened so this has worked well for us. I got them at ACE Hardware, they had to order them, I had found them on line. I have found if he gets out when he's in his confused state it's very difficult to talk him back in. I think the baby knobs is a very good idea, especially if they agree and help like cdw's husband. We decided to keep the doors to the car and truck locked because Frank saw people trying to steal them, it also keeps him out, he would remove all the paperwork in the glove compartment, including the registration. Sometimes they play right into our hands. :lol:

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:26 am

gerry.. i hear ya on the car/truck.. he wants so much to drive.. hes only 65 and that is the hardest thing that has happened, to lose his lic and freedom.. so everything goes in his car/truck.. the bills as they arrive, notes for grocery shopping, his glasses.. anything that isnt hidden asap, that he finds, off to the car or under the bed.. we spend 30 % of our time looking for stuff and we find it and he hides it again.. if it wasnt so aggrivating, it would be a fun game.... maybe a good name would be hubby hides and wife seethes, oh i mean seeks :lol: :lol:

cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Last edited by cdw on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Dale hides lots of stuff. One bottle of meds is missing now. He has been known to hide one bottle in another... if it fits. :lol: I'm now hiding his meds.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Someone told me I may also have to install a lock in the future. The individual recommended a slide type lock installation similar to this one: http://www.artfactory.com/images/Unique ... HH412.jpeg.

Hope this help

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:33 pm

That's a pretty one, Tiny. Welcome to our world!

I never had to install locks because our house already had heavy locks on all the outside doors. Because of his paranoia, Dale made sure all of them were locked at every opportunity. Once in a while, he would lock the doors while I was outside and I was locked out. I'm thankful that stage is now over. He currently walks with a walker - when he decides that he can walk. He is in bed most of the time.

A couple of months ago - as Dale was becoming more delusional, the local sheriff department put a bracelet on him with a number that identifies him with the information they have on file for him. He never takes it off... and was glad to wear it. He knew that he often forgot where he was.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Haha Leone.

I enjoyed the irony of a pretty lock. My mom is the same way. Before coming to live here, hardly anyone in my small town locked their doors. I did but I think 10 people had a key to my house. At mom's house, everything is locked. You did get me thinking though- I am going to stash a spare key outside.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Cindi, your post made me laugh! We played that very game all day long when Ken could still walk. Mine had an added twist, though- when I would find the hidden items (often in the usual places) Ken would praise me and be amazed at my keen mind and skills of detection. Enjoy even that game while you can. Hugs, Sher

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:53 am

Post Re: Wandering - Some advice please - hiding things
Sher - As you say, Dale usually hides things in 'usual places.' He once hid his watch in a coffee cup on the shelf in the kitchen. It was only by accident that I happened to find it. However, once I found his bottle of medicine in my underwear drawer. Clever guy.... :lol: I guess he wasn't hiding it from me.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:59 am

As the disease progresses you need to be prepared to watch them 24/7 with video monitors, in person, or in a protected area, if you don't want falls, messes, or bathrooms problems. Get all the help you can find family, friends, agentcies or church. This is a full time plus job!

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next