View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Resisting care in nursing home 

Post Re: Resisting care in nursing home
I had a care conference at the SNF yesterday and it was interesting to hear the staff's take. They feel my mother has declined significantly in the last three months. In the morning, she wants to do her ADLs by herself but she cannot figure out how (loss of executive function). So she sits and bawls but doesn't want the aides to help her.

I think part of what is going on is that the aides are used to hustling patients through the process--not that they are rough or mean, just efficient. But my mother thinks they are rough and mean. One of the RNs is working on teaching the aides to take a different approach with my mother and she says it is working. They are supposed to go in her room and sit down and talk with her, and then offer assistance as she does her ADLs.

Anyway, I appreciate that they are making this effort. The staff assures me that this is a normal part of the dementia process and they feel my mother is now realizing her decline and is very upset and frustrated by it. They reassured me that they know how to deal with this.

Julianne

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm glad the staff is adapting to your mother's needs. I've found it takes a few weeks for them to learn what works best for an individual resident. It is gratifying to see just how patient the caregivers are in my husband's SNF and how willing they are to be flexible. It's an 'Eden Alternative' facility and flexibility is a big part of their policy. At first I found it somewhat annoying [odd meal schedules, etc.] but found that I had to adapt, as well. :lol:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

For the most part, the staff at my mother's SNF is very patient and kind. A few of them seem to like my mother particularly, and I can tell that she drives a few of them crazy, but still they do their best. Actually, they all deserve a lot of credit for doing a really, really hard job.

Julianne

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Julianne, I heartily agree! I think it is the most underpaid and under-appreciated job on the planet!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Julianne,
I just had this very conversation with someone this morning, think about how we would feel if someone came in and we were in a confused state and hands are reaching for you, I probably would be the worst in reaction, so I am glad theat the home is going to try and work with her.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5