View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 72 hour hold 

Post Re: 72 hour hold
Nan,
I know you are OK with the 72 hour hold , there was no other choice at the time and to keep him from harmng himself I was just a bit shocked when you mentioned the 14 day hold, Here in SC I have not dealt with anyone in these situations but I know in FL there is, I believe a 72 hour hold but at the end of that they are free to go or it could be they were OK to go, I personaly have never dealth with these situations but I guess my message from last night I was trying to say I would hope that this would not prevent them from getting help for their LO in this type of situation, because LBD'ers sometimes become so strong and can really do harm to themselves and others.

I hope this all works out for you and you are able to get him to the VA.

I agree some caregivers probably welcome this, I guess I am thinking more along the lines of caregivers that aren't caring 24/7

I have been in situations with my husband where he became extremely combative but somehow I was able to avoid this, I am sure it came close a few times but with him he was so Physically incapacitated with standing and walking I was able to just walk away from the situation at hand.

I am sending only good thoughts your way!

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:32 pm
Profile WWW

Robin, Dr. Leverenz came through. Del was supposed to be transferred yesterday but they had too many nurses call in sick at the VA and were short of staff so he is going this afternoon. He has pretty much emerged from the delerium but is very labile. Fairly excited yesterday afternoon and then last evening he bacame tearful. Has stopped trying to get out of the bed without help and the restraints are off.

He almost could come home, but I would like them ro really review all his meds and help me set up a protocol for the next time he starts being unable to sleep, (in bed for 15 minutes and up wandering for 15 minutes without ever sleeping) because after several episodes, the trigger is always a sleep disturbance. If he didn't have PDD I would say he was Bi-polar when this happens. It's like going into a manic phase that just climbs and climbs until there is a psychotic episode. But there is no bi-polar illness in his family and he hasn't exhibited that kind of behavior before and I have been married to him for 36 years.

As far as the 72 hour hold goes, they are not having a judicial mental hearing on him today. Since he is accepting of a transfer to the VA he is now a voluntary patient and the 72 hour hold just expires.

I could almost bring him home, but he has been strapped to a bed for 2 days and in bed all of a third. I think he will probably need some PT also. And, after all the things getting thrown at me....I am just a touch wary. Gotta confess that.

Thanks for all everyones posts and all the kind thoughts sent out way.

Smiles. We're going to have a VA Christmas. Happy holidays to all. Nan

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Nan, I'm sure they will have a nice Christmas at the VA and you will have a less stressful one there with him. I shall be celebrating Christmas with Derek there at the SNF, too, as he was not able to come home this week. We are unable to get the equipment we need lined up because of the holidays. In a way, it's just as well. And we're both getting used to the SNF's Eden Alternative philosophy, too!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Nan,
Great news! I hope you can stop feeling guilty that you've "left him" at the hospital. You have great reasons for keeping him at the VA for his health and yours. Sounds like things are finally headed in the right direction. I agree that it would be good to get his meds figured out.
Take care of yourself too,
Robin

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Nan,
This is indeed good news and you are correct in wanting the med situation looked at if there is anything they can do to help avoid future episodes. The PT would be also helpful !

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2