View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Christmas decorations and hallucinations 

Post Christmas decorations and hallucinations
Dale usually has far more delusions than hallucinations ... but today, he saw children everywhere in our house. At one point, I heard him talking in the kitchen and then he came to me in the office and said, "I told them to get out of here but they won't listen. Will you come and make them go home?"

I am beginning to wonder about what I can put out as Christmas decorations. We have collected frogs for more than 20 years. In fact, our tree is usually decorated with all frogs. I've seen no correlation between the decorations and his hallucinations but I am aware that others have mentioned that possibility.

What's happening at your house? Is there an increase in hallucinations at Christmas because of the decorations?

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Post Re: Christmas decorations and hallucinations
My mother isn't disturbed by any familiar objects, so Christmas decorations to do not cause her hallucinations or delusions as far as I know. Actually, as soon as she realized that hallucinations and delusions are symptoms of her disease, she stopped talking about them and only occasionally slips up and mentions them. She has always been very cagey about letting on about any sort of deficit. Feeling normal seems to be very important to her, especially now that she realizes she isn't.

I hope you will be able to decorate for Christmas, Leone! Your Christmas frog tree sounds fun, and Christmas is such a season.

Julianne

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:21 am

Oops, hit "submit" too soon! I meant Christmas is such a lovely season.

Julianne

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:23 am

I've got most of the decorating done, it doesn't trouble Frank except that he says Christmas is over so I'm wasting my time. He was also very confused about the timing of Christmas last year.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:17 am

I just put up outside lights. He never liked Christmas, anyway.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:14 am

The Christmas tree went up in the living room. My tree is mostly decorated with Santa's. We have all kinds of Santa's. (Leone - I like your frog theme! Cool!) Did all the outside lights too. We have always driven around the neighborhood to see all the Christmas lights and decorations. We'll do that again this year. He likes that.

We spend most of our time in the family room that has a big fire place. I put a Santa sitting on the that little ledge in front of the fireplace doors and today he asked me who that was sitting there! That Santa is only about 20 inches tall! Maybe he thought it was a child. Before we got the right mix of drugs for him - he would see kids all over the house. He'd ask me why their parents didn't come and pick them up! He used to see little boys standing on the kitchen table whizzing on the floor! The neurologist really liked that one!

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the season.

Karen

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Gerry - Frank is confused about when Christmas is???? Join the club - the way the stores start marketing and decorating about Sept. 1, I'm confused about when Christmas is myself!!! LOL Lynn

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 pm

Dale loves Christmas ... the music.... the decorations.... and he can't wait for me to drive him around our subdivision to see all the lights. He is suggesting that already.

The frog collection, Karen, began when Dale told me early in our marriage that he was a frog and would never be a prince... no matter how often we kissed. We traveled all around the world and rather than bring home the typical souvenirs, we would find a frog. The collection is well over 1000 frogs. A whole wall of glass cabinets in the TV room contain nothing but frogs. Of course, that is what friends often give us as gifts.

So far this year, Dale hasn't thought any of the frogs were 'children' but he did last year. In fact, I thought his 'hallucination period' was last year and that we were passed that now. Suddenly, last week, the hallucinations began again. He was seeing children everywhere in the house last week. This is such a strange disease.

You mentioned 'the right drugs' and I'm curious to know what he is currently taking. I don't know of anything that stops delusions and hallucinations. Dale sleeps at night with Seroquel but he doesn't take it during the day.

Enjoy your Santa house!

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:32 am

Leone -

After many trials of disastrous drugs - Bill is now taking the following drugs:

Namenda - 10 mg - morning & night (this one really took away the hallucinations for him)
Seroquel - 100 mg at bedtime (before he was dx'd - he was on 400 mg, but we have weaned him down to 100 mg)
Clonazepam (klonopin) - 0.5 mg at bedtime

I give him 2000 mg of fish oil.

I also give him 1800 mg of CO Q10 - which I really feel has helped him a lot. I ran out of it awhile back & he was off of it for a couple days and you could see the difference. Even my daughter commented that I better get him back on the co q10!

Otherwise, he takes other drugs for BP & diabetes.

He is beginning to feel a little off balance, but not enough to give him anything at this time.

So, this is what works for him.

Karen

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 am

Does anyone have an opinion on the giving of fish oil capsule? Is it ever too late to start giving them. Mum never ever gave them to dad though she always has taken them herself as she was always told by the GP that dad couldn't take them for fear of having reactions. Even gingko biloba was not recommended. They are always such a big capsule also. Though dad doesn't have a problem swallowing yet I think it is just "one more pill to get down" .
Thoughts?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Kelli, you might want to start a new post in the treatment options category for your fish oil question. I'm afraid people may not see your question here in the Christmas decorations and hallucinations thread.

Julianne

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 am

....Unless, of course, they are decorating with fish oil bottles as a cure for hallucinations....

Sorry. That's my crazy post for the day.....

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Dale and I opened another box of decorations today and discovered the memories that were hidden inside. The tree is far from finished ... but that doesn't matter. There is no hurry. We are enjoying the experience together. We'll do a little every day accompanied by Christmas music.

Thankfully, after the absolutely disastrous morning Dale had yesterday when he couldn't stand up from the breakfast table, he had a very good day today. We went to the lab for his blood work and came back home where he was good natured company all day.

What a difference a day makes! I still have no idea what happened yesterday. I guess it was a Lewy attack. :lol: He didn't need a wheelchair today.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Leone -

When you & Dale finally finish decorating you frog tree - can you please post a picture of it for us? Just love that idea. My daughter trims her tree with penguins.

Does anyone else do a 'theme' tree?

Karen

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]