View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Another Day - Another delusion 

Post Re: Another Day - Another delusion
Leone, I really feel the same way.... that the cognitive problems are reallllllly hard on ME........... trying to have a conversation - he is so frustrated - I am frustrated - then it gets tense - then I finally get so frustrated and speak too loudly.... RON I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND!!!!... then he gets more frustrated.... the circle goes on. OR he takes clothes off when I don't want him to.... CAN'T take them off any other time.... We do have a caregiver 4 days a week 5 hours or so.... so helpful.... but Ron is becoming such a handful.... so suspicious... can't communicate..... just awful...... parkinsonian symptoms are increasing as well but not nearly as rapidly as the Lewy symptoms .... he is not "going gently into that good night"... God, I hope I don't go like this..... I want to just live happily after then die in my sleep..... too pollyanna hey????? Cheryl

cheryl, 64..... ron 59.... ron diagnosed 8 years ago

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Post hardwood floors
Question for you gals.... I am going to HAVE to rip out carpet in 2 bedrooms.... starting to smell like urine.... you know the story.... i have had them cleaned every couple of months for a year.... ant it AIN'T getting any better. I am scheduled to get hardwood floors installed... so that I can keep them cleaner. Any comments???? or suggestions?????? FYI, Ron isn't in a wheel chair nor does he use a walker yet.... should be using a walker but won't..... thanks, Cheryl

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 pm

No question... I love our hardwood floors. When we moved here 12 years ago, we had half the house carpet replaced with wood and then a couple of years later, we did the rest of the house. It is so much cleaner! People warned me that the hardwood kitchen floor would need to be refinished... but we haven't done it yet. I rather like the distressed look it has now.

Dale is just now trying to remember to use his walker. There is no problem with the floor. He had extreme dizziness yesterday and I thought it might be time for a wheelchair ... but he was OK today.

I'm still going to look for a transport chair. Last Wednesday, he passed out in my arms and I decided I'd better be prepared.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:06 am

Would you consider linoleum or inexpensice linoleum squares, ready pasted? "For now" until you decide a permanent finish?

Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:24 am

Cheryl,
The only thing not so good with Hardwood is the fact that it has seams and eventually that will smell like urine just like the carpet at this point in time if it were me I would opt for something more solid such as previous suggestions.

Good Luck!

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:37 am
Profile WWW

I had not thought of urine as a problem, Irene. Dale wears a condom catheter, as you probably know, and I suspect he will be wearing it a long time. :roll: It was his idea in the first place and I'm glad.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 am

I love hardwood floors, but with the urine situation, if I were to install wood, I'd probably get a bunch of bathroom-type rugs that have the waterproof rubberized backs and put them where accidents are most likely to happen (if that is predictable), like next to the bed or wherever. That way, your new hardwood is protected (even the cracks). Otherwise, vinyl floorcovering in the most wet-prone areas would be the best solution for now, I think. Lynn

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Post Re: Another Day - Another delusion - smell of urine - Lynn
I'm feeling silly, I guess. It seems to me that large nursing homes often smell of disinfectant. Sometimes, I think the smell of urine might be better. :P

Actually, the home where my mother was for more than four years never did have an odor even though they had six residents. They had hardwood floors and beautiful carpets. The staff were mostly from Romania. Many they knew something we don't.....

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:01 pm

Leone,
Thats great that the Condom Cath works out for Dale but it doesn't for many others it took us a long time to get the hang of it , so I guess you can count your blessings with Dale!

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile WWW

It's so much easier to move a wheelchair on hardwood or linoleum than it is on carpet - especially plush carpet.

Kate

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Post Re: Another Day - Another delusion - Irene
I noticed that the responses to the topic of 'condom catheters' on the forum was mostly negative. I almost added to the topic postings today... and then you mentioned it, Irene.

Yes, we use Gee Whiz catheters and have been using them successfully since the fall of 09. We experimented with other brands for a brief period but Dale was allergic to the adhesive on them. You may remember that I eventually compromised by placing a layer of gauze on the penis first and then the adhesive. With Gee Whiz catheters, the adhesive is a separate application apart from the rubber. They work well for us.

If you want to move this post to the proper place, you have my permission.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Dale informed me at dinner that there was a planned riot in our subdivision and that the guard at the gate should be called to warn them.

I said, "There is no riot." He said, "Oh, yes there is. They are objecting to the railroad going through our property."

Now he wants me to look for the item in the computer news.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:29 pm

You wrote: "the cognitive problems are reallllllly hard on ME........... trying to have a conversation - he is so frustrated - I am frustrated - then it gets tense - then I finally get so frustrated and speak too loudly.... RON I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND!!!!...

I wanted to respond in sympathy after you wrote ... and I got distracted. Dale goes on and on in a very soft voice that I can't possibly hear. It's like he is talking to himself ... but he is also intent on sharing something with me. Yes, we both get frustrated!

Did you say Ron was diagnosed 8 years ago? How long has dementia been like this?
Dale was diagnosed in 09 - but I was still taking him everywhere until last week.

Now, I'm wondering what is going to be possible with him. He has had only one lucid day this week.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:52 pm

This is one of my first attempts to 'talk' on this forum. Suddenly, over the last two days, my husband's comments are nearly impossible to comprehend. Last night he kept insisting that I should get rid of the "card" that was making his hair fall out because the cards were not all the same. I asked him to help me find a way to understand what a card was because I didn't know what he was saying. He said, "You know, when I pooped my pants and you helped me clean it up, that was a card. Cards are not all the same." (cleaning him up did happen several weeks earlier) I've been getting irrational comments from him for two days. Does this seem delusional or does it fall into the category of difficulty with words? In the past, I've been able to figure out what he's telling me. I've always teased him say that I feel like I live inside a giant crossword puzzle but this seems very different and very frightening to me.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 am

Since my husband has both delusions and difficulty with words, it's awfully hard to sort out. So much time is spent trying to figure out what he's trying to say and often never do! And his progressively weakened voice makes it even harder. Equally heartbreaking is not knowing whether his inability to follow simple commands is one of comprehension or of execution. :cry: I have no answer for you, just empathy. Hugs, Pat

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next