View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Having trouble with fluids 

Post Having trouble with fluids
Hello. We could use some suggestions, please. My brother is very stooped and stiff and is not able to raise his head back to drink. He also can't remember sometimes how to suck thru a straw. Luckily he hasn't develped swallowing problems yet. We've tried every type cup I can find and the ones with wide rims work best if we keep them filled. Another problem is that he has a pretty large nose and the fluid tends to get in his nose when he tried to drink. Does anyone have a solution or a suggestion? Thanks.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:19 pm
Walmart carries a clear cup that has a sip cap on it and the cup can be lifted to his mounth without the spill they are like 1.00 a piece, they have a screw on cap the lids are colored and the cup itself is clear and kind of looks like the Michelin man.These were the only cups we used for my husband because he also couldn't drink out of a straw and I believe I was also told drinking out of a straw could be bad for aspiration.
I hope this helps! This one below is not what they have at walmart but looks like it
http://www1.epinions.com/Rubbermaid_Tak ... oz_Sip_Cup

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:40 pm

We've had the "can't remember how to use a straw" problem. Commuter-type cups with a pretty deep lid have worked OK (and they don't spill easily). We've also had *some* luck with sport-bottle-type tops where Cal can just "squirt" it into his mouth rather than sucking on the straw.

E

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

It seems like you believe the can't-remember-how-to-use-a-straw problem is a cognitive issue. Could it be a muscular issue as well? Along the lines of my-muscles-don't-work-that-way-any-more or my-muscles-aren't-getting-the-right-signals-from-my-brain-any-more? Just a thought....this might indicate that it's a swallowing problem you are dealing with.

People tell me that their loved ones don't have swallowing problems when, in fact, they do! The only way I know of to be sure there's no swallowing problem is to have a modified barium swallow study done. This will tell you if there's SILENT aspiration -- meaning, no one is aware that there's a swallowing problem when, in fact, there is.

So all of that has probably put you off from reading the rest of this post. But here are my suggestions for drinking containers:

* bottle with a lid with a nozzle in the middle of the lid. Liquid can either be squirted out or, in our case, the nozzle is put into the mouth, the bottle tilted up, and the bottle squeezed. We have several from Rubbermaid but despite the advertising they do leak from the lid despite the rubber seal. (see the "Squirt Top Bottle" from Rubbermaid, which you might find by following this link: http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/pr ... Prod100022)

* cup with a nose cut-out. (see http://www.activeforever.com/ps-305-30- ... t-cup.aspx)

* plastic cup with large handle, spout for drinking, and lid. (sorry I don't have a webpage or brand name to reference; I can email you a digital photo of such a cup, if you want.)

* sippy cups from Tupperware. (on www.tupperware.com do a search for "sipper cups"; the first result is for a "Sipper Seal Set."

Robin

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:57 am

We've had barium swallow studies twice now - the mechanics don't look bad (aside from an esophageal stricture of 50+ year history)....a speech pathologist is your best friend when it comes to swallow performance. I think the problem is executive function - it's associated with low cognitive performance for us, because a root beer float or a chocolate shake is *always* a big seller and he does just fine with a straw 90+% of the time. It's just sometimes so.....inexplicable.

We have found heavier containers work better - in the hospital, they use styrofoam coffee cups with the peel-back sippy lids, and it's a disaster, because there's no damping function if he's a little shaky.

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:28 am
Profile WWW

I appreciate all the suggestiions! I will try all of them. The nose cut-out cup is really ingenious and I never would have thought there was something like that out there.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:14 pm

You might want to check out a website called www.sammonspreston.com They have alot of cups there that are spill proof. Just look under dining.

Heather

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]