View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Revisiting wandering 

Post Revisiting wandering
Mom did her first wandering tonight, which is why I'm up at 3:45 a.m.! She wanted to check out the lower levels of the house to find out who was down there. I caught her just before she tried tackling the stairs (she usually can barely shuffle).

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm not comfortable sleeping, just dozing, until I get a better alert system than the one I have. But, and I know this sounds crazy, I kind of feel like she's graduated or something - like she's taken a big step. I know that's nuts and things are going to get harder now. But I've been waiting for this, thinking that we might skip this behavior (a little hopefully) and now it has arrived and I'm a little relieved that it's come around and proud that we're there now.

I feel positively insane, myself, about this.

Kate

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 am

Post Re: Revisiting wandering
Lewy is a very strange disease. When my husband could barely stand he somehow mustered the energy to sneak out the front door and halfway down the block, right into a neighbor's house! This was in the middle of the day. I ran across the street to find this nice little old lady leading him down her walkway. He did it a couple more times, this time to other houses, but I was right on his tail and managed to persuade him back into the house. He hasn't done it lately but, even though he seems to be unable, I don't ever rule it out. Somehow they get reserves of adrenaline when they feel they need it.

I do have alarms on the doors that I activate at night but during the day it's too big a hassle to have them on. I just listen carefully if I happen to be in the bathroom, etc.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]