View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Clear Thinking - 2 days in a row! 

Post Clear Thinking - 2 days in a row!
Although my dad's speech is hard to understand, and sometimes it takes a minute or so for even 1 word to come out, his thoughts this weekend have been remarkably clear during our visits. Even his short term memory for some things has been pretty good yesterday and today.
Yesterday I was telling him about a family friend who just died, and I told him I'd sent flowers from all of us. He talked about how tragic it is that she died so young, and then said "thanks for sending the flowers for me since I can't do that anymore. You have too much to do. You do everything for me now and it's a lot of work." That was amazing! He has not expressed anything like that for quite a while - his lack of empathy was one of the first things to disappear a couple of years ago. Also, his hearing today is very acute. He couldn't stand my trying to crack ice to put in a bottle for him - it was too loud! This from a man who is really, really deaf! It's been a good 2 days. Lynn

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Post Re: Clear Thinking - 2 days in a row!
Wow, Lynn, that's amazing! Has there been any medication change? I know Derek's hearing also became hyperactute several years ago when he had previously been slightly hard of hearing. Weird, isn't it? Lewy!!!!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Being hard of hearing and sensitive to some sound levels is called 'recruitment.' It is common among persons who have some hearing loss. It is as if the level of tolerable sound has collapsed from both ends, making the person truly hard of hearing, but irritated by sounds that most people percieve as of normal levels.

Nan (I have an old MS degree in Speech Pathology and Audiology....like almost 40 years ago.)

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Nan, I know you are right. But my husband can hear me speak in a normal voice from the next room [which didn't used to be the case]. He does not always comprehend [who knows?] or properly respond but he does hear better. We haven't had his hearing checked so I can't back it up by measurable data, just what I've observed. I think it has to do with Lewy in the brain stem. A clinical psychologist in AZ laid it on Exelon but my husband has actually had this longer than he's been on the patch.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Interesting observation, Pat. I am always astounded at the permutations of this disease.

Nan

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:49 pm

I might add that his vision, although it fluctuates a lot, also improved since Lewy. Alas, those are the only two 'benefits' to this awful disease! :cry:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Stranger and stranger!. Del complained about his glasses not "working." We had his eyes tested and they his vision was better than two years ago. I have concluded that the messages get through...they just don't get 'decoded' properly. He hears, but doesn't understand, and he sees, but doesn't know what he's seeing. That's a tough world to live in.

Nan

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:16 pm

On hearing, my Mom has never been deaf. Right now, her hearing is the best that I have every seen in a human being. It's more like a dog or cat's hearing. For the past four-five years (her Lewy years) she can hear just about anything being said from a full building's length away. The problem is, she thinks that anyone talking to anyone else is actually talking to her. She will answer or respond to requests and it gets quite confusing. It isn't paranoia because she isn't afraid, it is some kind of self-centeredness mixed with acute hearing. It's like she is the center of the universe. Put that together with delusions and we have some pretty interesting scenarios.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Same here, Annie. I can be in another room talking quietly on the phone and I'll hear him mumbling answers to my questions as if I were talking to him.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Mom's hearing hasn't gotten any better, I think. But I really appreciate the warning. I'll have to be more careful about what I say. Just in case.

Kate

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Lynn, I'm so happy for you! I hope it lasts a while. But even if it doesn't, you now know that he is very aware of all you've done for him and that he appreciates it! I know you'll treasure that moment.

Kate

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Today my dad's thoughts are a little more clouded, as I expected, but interesting about his short term memory. He remembered that my husband came with me to MD and wondered why he wasn't here to see him today, but couldn't remember that he'd just been changed 5 min. ago and insisted that he needed to be changed (he didn't!).
His general hearing is much better today than it's been in years, and I'm not cracking any ice today! I don't have to have the TV at full blast and he can hear it. This is such a weird disease. In 5 min. he could tell me he can't hear the TV and I'd have to crank it up to full volume.
Yes, I will cherish those clear moments over the weekend. Lynn

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Lynn,
I am glad it has been a bit better for your visit , I guess as they say we can only take a one day at a time , its almost like he saved up his energy for your visit!

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:35 am
Profile WWW

I think you're right Irene. By the time I got there this morning his cognition was more scrambled than not, his speech was almost totally indecipherable and he seemed exhausted by 9 AM. I think just limited conversation with me in his room for 4 days is exhausting, plus the hospice nurse, and 2 ALF nurses checked out his pressure sore this morning. That gets him really mad and then that tires him too. So, we didn't stay long and I kinda think he was glad when we left.
BTW, pressure sore is increasing in size again.
So, we had 2 pretty good days, and that may never happen again, but we had them and that was good. Lynn

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Lynn, I think they can only keep up a good front for a limited time. It really taxes their resources. If he's not eating well his pressure sore might not heal. He may not be drinking enough fluids, either, which is even worse. Glad you got to enjoy a couple of good days with him, though! :-) --Pat

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next