View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 caregivers 

Post caregivers
Hi to all;
my name is Pat and i am a 24-7 caregiver for my LB hubby.

on thanksgiving sunday my hubby and i were enjoying a quiet day, no fusses, just quiet. till 3;30pm.... when i had a stroke..

no warning signs, just boom. i spent 3 days and many test in the hospital. after i got the MRI today i asked to go home and the doctor agreed, for now. because our hospital is full and folks are waiting in the wings kind of thing.

so now im looking for suggestions for books, tapes, etc anything that i can use for stress management because this episode scared the both of us witless.

so if anyone has ideas to offer please post to me. and thanks in advance for doing so. godbless....

the mri results will be in a couple of days. i will keep u posted.

thanks pat

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Post Re: caregivers
Pat,

Sorry to hear about your husband's LBD and your stroke.

A nearby senior center probably has mindfulness, relaxation, stress-reduction, meditation, and yoga classes you both could consider. In the US, community colleges have these sorts of classes as well. If you do an internet search on "mindfulness caregivers," I'm sure you'll find lots of info. It's probably best to take a class in these techniques and then you can practice on your own. Finally, the Canadian equivalent of the American Stroke Association may have some suggestions.

Do you have any children or close friends who can help you come up with a family care plan?

Robin

Last edited by robin on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Welcome, Pat, from another Pat. What happened to you is a real worry to me. I often wonder what will happen if BOTH of us need care. I don't know what kind of living situation you are currently in but it seems that one important consideration would be to live in a low-maintenance house or apartment, perhaps some kind of assisted living facility, maybe of the sort that has various levels of independence.

Personally, I find exercise to be the best stress-buster but, until you have your medical results, it wouldn't be something you'd want to launch at this time. In addition to exercising my body [using DVDs my daughter gave me], I find exercising my faith is also very important. This is a personal issue, of course.

You might also consider joining the LBD Caring Spouses forum on Yahoo groups. You have to become a member, as it is restricted to spouses, but I find it immensely supportive. I hope this link will connect you: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LBD_caringspouses/. God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi Pat - I am so sorry to hear you had a stroke and I hope you can get back to full health quickly. I also hope you can get some help so that the full burden of caregiving is not all on your shoulders. You definitely need time to take care of yourself. I was close to having a stroke last Dec., so I can only imagine how scary this is for you. I was lucky and got to the ER in time and now take meds to hopefully prevent stroke.
I think Pat A. just gave you some good tips. At a caregivers' class I was recently taking they did some guided imagery exercises which many people found helpful. Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. Lynn

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Pat,
So sorry about your stroke and I hope the results will be in soon with some helpful hints in avoiding another one, Caregiving is certainly stressful so I am thinking you have to find way to cut the stress down for your own well being. Take care of you too!

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:53 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks to all who have responded so soon; sure appreciate your tips and forgive me for bunching my reply like this.

I am looking for and have had tips from my home support workers on local workshops for this. also have the heart stroke center for sessions and councelling. will get some soothing music to rest with also.

my son can help with driving for appointments and the likes but not at home. we can upgrade our homecare services i found out today... and we are on a three yr wait list for assisted living.

i will keep you informed and im so grateful for all of you.

hugs pat

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Pat:

When you had the stroke, who got help for you? Who took over your caregiver duties? I do wonder what happens to our LO's when we suddenly get incapacitated.

Do any of you think a topic on sole caregivers would be worthwhile? We do have some unique concerns.

Gail

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:14 am

This has been a particular worry for me lately as my blood pressure goes off the charts when I get stressed, even though it is typically normal. I do get migraines from time to time but only one has been incapacitating to the point I had to have a paid caregiver come in while I stayed in bed. And we must not even THINK about getting sick!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:04 am

Yes, there should be some talk about this as everyone that is a sole caregiver should have a back up plan in the event of sickness or any medical need. It might not be the ideal plan but something needs to be in place and always have a contact number with you so the authorities can contact that person should you not be able to ! Even a life alert system in place with specific instructions for your LO

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:41 pm
Profile WWW

OK, I am going to start a new Sole Caregiver topic here, but it doesn't really fit in Behavioral Issues. Better in Caregiver Tips? That is such a crowded category.

Gail

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Gail ,
Where you started is fine, its so hard to find the right place sometimes so we can just get close to it.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]