View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Coughing and breathing difficulties 

Post Coughing and breathing difficulties
My wife was diagnosed with LBD some months ago and I can see a gradual but continuous decrease in many areas especially physical slowness, bladder control, cognitive and memory. She used to gobble up books but now can not put words together, she used to be a walikng phone book and could rattle off anyones number now she has trouble dialing. She developed a cough a couplen of months ago which is not clearing up. We are persuing this with her doctor but have mo answers. This morning she experienced difficulty with breathing and had a tightness in her throat. This did clear up but I need to know if this LBD related as these symptons are listed though not as a prominent side effect

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Post Re: Coughing and breathing difficulties
She could have silent aspiration related to a swallowing problem that may not be obvious. The only way to know for sure is to ask the doctor to order a swallowing study.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:35 pm

This could also be a (benign) problem with the esophagus. I know several whose esophageal sphincters tighten when they eat certain foods. This can cause throat pain and difficulty breathing. This often goes away after several (long) minutes.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi, haven't posted on this forum for a long time.... my husband (59 yrs old) - diagnosed when he was 52 but has had it much longer.... has some coughing, choking issues. It is usually drinking - not eating... but this morning at 4:30 am he started choking and said he felt like his throat was closing up... he is okay now but it was scary.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]