View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Another big decline 

Post Re: Another big decline
Lynn- I am so sorry that you are experiencing caregiver turnover, it can feel so destabilizing. Esp when a caregiver you liked leaves and one you don't like moves on in. I just recently had a positive experience with turnover, which is that a less favorite caregiver left and I was able to specifically request a better one who has a very stable employment history at the ALF. I hope you have an opportunity to identify a skilled, stable caregiver and request her.

If you are worried in the interim, can your hospice organization provide its own CNA on a regular basis until you feel secure? One of the hospice organizations I interviewed said they always start at thrice weekly visits from their own CNA, even in an ALF, and they work up from there as need dictates! Maybe this transition between ALF caregivers is a critical time in which you need a hospice nurse plus a social worker AND extra CNA hours to establish adequate care. The hospice could always back off on the staffing when things improve.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:17 pm

I probably should have said the "upper level administrators". Luckily, his favorite caregivers are still there but I sure wish the nurse who was so good was still there. The hospice nurse comes in twice a week for a few min. each time, for now, and his CGs from the ALF check on him at least once an hour. I will call the hospice social worker this week - I didn't know we even had one of those until she called my sister. I'm a newbie at this hospice thing!

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 pm

My youngest son spent the weekend visiting my dad, which was good for both of them. My dad called my son by his brother's name (as my youngest son said "that's ok. My mom's been calling me that for years!") LOL And, my dad thought my son is his nephew, not his grandson and not my son! Oh well, it was good that they both saw each other a lot. My son now has a real appreciation for what I've been dealing with there for the past year - he talked about how exhausted he was just from trying to communicate when my dad's thoughts and his speech are completely unintelligible, and how hard it is when my dad gets mad and shakes his fists because you try to guess what he's saying and you don't get it right. He was also amazed at how good my dad's longterm memory is and how he has no short term memory. That's the nature of this beast, huh?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4