View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hearing 

Post Hearing
Lately Frank seems that he doesn't hear me, I thought for along time that choses not to hear. I will call to him or ask him something and he perks up and will look around him, if I repeat he doesn't follow the voice, again he'll look around. When I get up close he seems startled that I'm there. So often I'll ask him something and he just stares or walks away, if I ask him to repeat what I said, it's salad talk. So did he know what I said and just isn't able to repeat it or maybe he just hear a lot of noise? I've thought of having his hearing checked but again he doesn't seem to understand the appropriate response. His eye DR. said he didn't feel comfortable going with Frank's respones, and would just make sure there wasn't anything horrible going on in there. I'm at my wits end and this man couldn't be healthier, physically, "mentally" :cry:
I'd love to hear if anyone is has this issue.
Take care,
Gerry

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:06 am

Hi Gerry - we had a discussion on here somewhere a few weeks ago about hearing and vision coming and going. My dad is usually about as deaf as a rock but sometimes his hearing is so acute he can hear a pin drop. His vision fluctuates also because of his brain disorders, not because of his eyes. You might try a search to see where this discussion happened about sight and hearing. My heart goes out to you. It's really tough to deal with. Lynn

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:57 pm

My husband hears sounds in the next room but his response time to a question or request is longer and longer. I'm assuming it just takes him longer to:
1. Process the information, and--
2. Form the response, which, as a rule, makes little or no sense.

What I'd like to know is this: Which is the main problem, making sense of the question or formulating the answer??? Is he understanding the question or not? In his case, I don't think it's hearing.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:10 pm

That's the problem, I don't know IF he understood what I said. Most questions can be answered with nodding the head. If I ask if he has to go to the bathroom? do you have to pee; do you need to have a BM, poop, dump, #2, I've tried them all. I'll get the urinal and he'll be trying to unbutton his jean, with leads me to think he needs to have a BM. Most of the time he just pees. I try not to get frustrated, I'm assuming he did not hear or has not intention on answering. His drooling is non-stop so I know when we are with others he doesn't answer or join in the conversation because of the drooling. The other day I told one of our daughters the Dad was OFF. She suggested that maybe this is his "new normal", I think that's what I'm going with. We have a woman come every other week. She'll try to show him what she wants but can see he just doesn't get it. I'm going to try harder to do some of the exercises each day.

Lynn, I read a couple times a day and do remember the selective? hearing and with everything about this disease "who knows".

Thanks, Gerry

Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:49 pm

There are so many things that seem to be "off" with dementia patients. When my dad first went into ALF they were trying to get him out of Depends, so at least once an hour someone would come in and ask if he needed to go to the bathroom. Or, they'd say "we're going to the bathroom now and you just need to try". He'd insist that he didn't need to go, then within 5 min. he'd be screaming for someone to take him to the bathroom. This went on for a couple of months. He's been pretty much incontinent for about a year so they just gave up asking him, and he gave up trying to get out of the "adult diapers".
He truly cannot hear most of the time - it's beyond selective hearing because many times he really wants to hear what we have to say, but he either cannot hear or cannot process what we're saying. He gets very frustrated when he can't hear, but refuses to wear his hearing aids. We've given up on that.
Sometimes he thinks he is watching a sports game on tv and there's a soap opera someone has turned to. He doesn't know the difference some days, then other days he does. Is that vision, or is that processing? He hasn't read the newspaper in months, but last week he read an article to my sons when they visited. I was astounded! He tells the drs. he still reads 4 newspapers a day, but that hasn't happened in almost a year, especially since he can't hold a newspaper most of the time.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Not long ago my LO tried to do a newspaper crossword puzzle - on the front page! She went through all the motions of looking at the clues and filling in the answers, but her pen never touched the paper. It was hilarious. Eventually she snapped out of it. What a strange disease. :lol:

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]