View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Symptom name? Strong chronic belief that dreams are Real 

Post Symptom name? Strong chronic belief that dreams are Real
My father has a neurology appointment tomorrow and I am writing down my dad's symptoms as concisely as I can so the neurologist will read them.

One thing my dad does very frequently now is strongly believe his dreams were real. He often now dreams of being at a river with other people even though he is bedridden by his foot ulcers.

When talking about this he can be 100% awake and talking fine but he believes that nursing home personnel had him walking in the woods the night before. When I ask if his feet hurt while he was walking he says "how weird it is that they would not hurt?" Sometimes he will begin to believe that perhaps it was a dream but he just can't believe it could possibly have been.

ALSO, my dad had another thing that is almost constant now. It is very much like he is managing two worlds at the same time.
He is talking to me about something current and knows he is in his room and I (& his dog) are there with him in his room. At the same time that we are talking about something normal and practical. He can be picking fake tomatoes or berries and eating them.

Or he can be having a completely normal conversation with his brother on the phone and them tell a little boy or girl who is not there "that they should not have those scissors" I know these are hallucinations but they also seem to be more and more part of a consistent world that he is keeping track of. He goes to family gatherings and runs a gas station does all kinds of things while at the same time talking to me.

On occasion if I touch him or if he has started poking at his dog which is sleeping on his lap. I will have to tell him to stop and it will startle him that what he was doing was not real. Sometimes he appears to be asleep while in this world but it is always when he first falls asleep and he does not breath like he is sleeping.

ALSO He does not really ever appear to SLEEP normally . He only appears to dream. I wonder if he is getting much sleep even though it seems like he is asleep with his eyes closed and unresponsive most of the time. but then I will tell someone who walks into the room... "yes he has been sleeping for an hour" and he will be like - NO I AM NOT SLEEPING and he will be lucid.

I am afraid to bring up too many things and confuse the neurologist but are these valid things to bring up? Do they have names I should use when referring to them?

Thank you for your help.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:00 pm

I find that a concise list of symptoms, written out and handed to the dr. before the appt. is very helpful. Anything unusual should definitely be written down as well as mentioned to the dr. verbally. They will put the list in your dad's folder, if they still are keeping folders. If you think it's not normal behavior or a weird symptom, the dr. definitely should be aware of what's going on. And, I wouldn't worry about naming them, describing them as accurately as possible is what will be helpful to the doctor. The doctor may have a name for certain things, but that shouldn't be something you have to worry about doing.
Good luck at the appt. Lynn

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm

A symptoms list is a good idea. I think you should rank them in order of concern (meaning, something you want the MD to address). Some symptoms on your list will just be FYI for the MD.

I would call these symptoms:
* vivid dreams such that there is confusion between reality and dreams
* hallucinations

Personally, I would see these two symptoms as just FYIs for the MD.

It may be that your father has RBD (REM sleep behavior disorder). You might do a search on that. This can only be confirmed through a sleep study, which your father may not be up for. If your father does have RBD, a concern is -- just as you've stated -- that your father is getting sufficient sleep.

Robin

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]