View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Any ideas 

Post Any ideas
My dad broke a bone in his wrist - not surprising since he falls more often now, has osteoporosis and is always pulling at his hands - my question is has anyone had to deal with casts and splints. Our experience is that he fixates on them and tries to remove them - much like he did his hearing aids, glasses, wallent and gps tracker - It has been very frustrating - anyone come up with some way of diverting interest or treating a break that works? Two years ago he broke the same wrist and I had to ace bandage the good hand and the broken one - it was the only way we could keep him from removing the cast - it only worked temporarily.

Thanks,
Connie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:05 pm
What a shame that your Dad broke his wrist and yes it is almost a given with the way they fall so much I am sorry I really don't have advice other than distraction........Good Luck!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:52 pm

I don't know if this will help or not, but I got my Dad a fuzzy toy puppy with floppy ears and when he gets agitated and starts pulling at his clothes, moustache etc. we pop the doggie into his lap and he not only twiddles and twists its ears instead of everything else, the softness of the material seems to calm him somewhat.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:15 pm

Any chance of putting a mitten or glove on his other hand? Or is he too alert for this? Does the Orthopedic MD have suggestions? Contact a social worker at a reputable (sp?) nursing home and see if they have any suggestions. Is there a local Alz. Org or state office? Contact them. You can't be the first family that's had this dilemna!
Sue in WV

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 pm

This is to anyone!!! My husband has had Lewy Body for about 6 1/2 years now. He is having seizures, where he rolls his eyes back, twitches and passes out. It is only for a moment and he is awake, but it happens in succesion. The doctors are all trying to find out what is causing it. Has anyone had this experience with their patients, I would really like to know if so.
Thanks,
attilla (Elaine)

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:11 pm

We have the roll-back-head-loll-pass-out, or, rather, had. The consensus is that it was profound sleepiness, like a narcoleptic attack. They have disappeared since we started using the Provigil and amphetamine.

Eric

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:21 pm
Profile WWW

Post Siezures
Thank you Eric and Gayle for your replys,

My husbands siezures seem similar to your experiences. I don't know if he has profound sleepiness, or if it is a form of epilepsy due to his brain malfunctioning, BUT at least it is interesting to know that others have experienced these in some form.
His blood pressure drops so much that they can hardly get a pressure, but he recovers very fast. He gets these no matter where or what he is doing, sometimes at night, which doesn't make me feel that the diagnosis of one doctor, that it is, like most of us, faint feeling on getting up fast. Guess I will just have to leave it to the doctors to figure it out.
Thanks again.
Elaine

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]