View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Good Days/Bad Days 

Post Good Days/Bad Days
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this: For two weeks, my husband was having constant hallucinations, seeing people, totally convinced he was in someone else's home, always asked me what he was to do next (100 times a day), paced the house over and over - opening all doors, cupboards, closets, even had some of the people that he sees helping him. We could not leave him alone at all.

Then a couple of high school friends called and said they wanted to make the 3 hour drive to see him. The day before they came, he slept most of the day. The day they were here, he seemed to have no hallucinations,knew he was home, was able to carry on and follow the conversations, and seemed almost normal.

His sister was here and saw both behaviors and was totally shocked at the difference. Has anyone else experienced this, is this normal???

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:56 am

Happens all the time. We call it 'showtime'. It will drive you crazy! Normal? No. Lewy? Yes.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 am

The unpredictablility of behavior of the person with dementia - sounds like what I have experienced of "normal" behavior with my dad! It's amazing how together a LO can be, then it can fall apart in an instant, and then go back to rational behavior within minutes, hours or days. The most vivid experience I observed was last year when my dad turned into, basically, a quadraplegic overnight for no reason drs. could determine. 2 days later he had 2 PTs pull him up from lying down, held him in a sitting position (he couldn't keep himself upright), couldn't move his legs from the bed to the floor. He was like a limp dishrag. Then suddenly he stood up, grabbed the walker and nearly ran across the room! He'd been hallucinating the previous 2 days, then no hallucinations the day he got mobile again. He was somewhat able to walk with a walker, though very slowly shuffling, for the next 3 weeks. He has been unable to walk or even hold his own weight since Thanksgiving. :( Now his arms are almost totally useless too. So, your story sounds like so many others I'm afraid. Enjoy the lucid and mobile times as they seem to happen with less frequency over time. Lynn

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 am

My MIL is in one of the good periods. We are really enjoying this time with her-taking her outside, for rides, calling relatives. We know that this won't last and remain ever vigilant. But we'll take it as it comes.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Post Good days and bad days
Yes, we continue to experience with my mom exactly what you're going through with your husband. It's amazing how lucid they can be then all of a sudden, can change from day to day, hour to hour. This was what my neurologist said was "intravariability". Mom can be just fine then fall asleep in her chair, have hallucinations and for the next few hours, or even days, continue to repeat what happened. My mom was convinced for two days this week that she had a son named Timmy who was abducted from her room. Two "thugs" took both he and her "throw" that was on her bed! She was quite upset about the throw being taken! I had heard her talking during the night and knew she was hallucinating so I wasn't surprised the next morning when she told me about it. She even asked me where her gun was and she actually used to have one several years ago. Funny that she could remember it and what kind it was. This morning, she thought she had razorblades in her hands and called me to her room to take them from her. She really "saw" them and she "gingerly" gave them to me with her fingers. So very real to her. Later, she was quite normal. Thankfully (as bad as that sounds, she cannot stand or walk anymore so I don't have to worry about her getting up and falling or trying to go outside.) Although I got a new piece of exercise equipment this week, and she keeps asking me to help her get on it as she's just sure she can use it! So YES, this "abnormal behavior" is "normal" behavior for someone with LBD. Make the most of the "lucid" times as they will probably decrease as time goes on. God bless you as you take care of your husband.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]