View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Panic attacks/feeling scared/anxiety 

Post Re: Panic attacks/feeling scared/anxiety
Mom's on Namenda and Aricept, though she also takes Lexapro for anxiety, which she's been taking since before the LBD diagnosis. There are several other meds for BP and colagenous colitis, which she has also taken for years.

Kate

Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:26 pm

My Mom had a colonoscopy & endoscopy yesterday. Her anxieties are so bad. Panic attacks too. I really feel helpless now as the Dr. & the anethesia doc. both commented that for her age & so frail she was hard to put under. It took 450mg of Diprivan & then to wake her she woke up very easily. They were tense about her since her condition but unreal how hard it was to sedate her. How in the world is she going to make it in a ALF she will be driving them crazy. : ) I told the girl I have been dealing with that they will pay me to take her out. But first I have to get her in there. Getting closer. I just feel bad doing it. She is with us right now.
Gayle

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:18 am

Gayle,
Don't let the guilt get you down, you have to do what's best for your Mom ! Your job won't end at the door of the ALF, you will still be very much a part of it ! I am sure the others here will agree with that!

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:49 pm
Profile WWW

That is for sure - you'll still have a lot of responsibilities, some will be the same, some will be new and different. Even with your LO in a facility there is still an amazing amount that you need to do to support them and make sure their care is up to par with what they deserve and need.
I wish you all the best in making this transition. Many of us have been there. Please lean on your friends here for as much support as you want. Lynn

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Dale has been 'sun-downing' a lot lately. Normally, I sort of ignore it. Tonight, however, I really looked at him as he was telling me about the three women who were in our bedroom. He wanted me to go see them. They wouldn't talk with him. I asked him who the women were and he said, "They are the wives of the men who belong to the movement." He wanted me to invite them to stay in our guest rooms.

He was shaking and his lip was quivering. It was obvious that this experience was traumatic for him. I asked him why he was so afraid and he said, "Something comes over me. It's completely out of my control."

Unless I'm badly uninformed, there is nothing that can help.... That's the sad part.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Leone, I've found that Seroquel will quell the anxiety, if not the delusions. But I've only given it twice any earlier than bedtime. It's just heartbreaking when he is so agitated about what he imagines is going on and I'm not usually able to comfort him because he doesn't completely trust me when he's having these delusions--just Capgras [he sees me as an impostor]. And I have found that he won't take 1/2 a Seroquel once his agitation has escalated. It seems to work if I catch it early. I may just have to ask the doctor if I should give him a small dose after dinner because he gets this way every evening, starting in the afternoon and, oddly, calming down by bedtime, even without any medication. By 9:00PM he's quite docile and very happy to be tucked into bed even though his bedtime meds haven't kicked in yet. The whole thing just seems to have to run its course. :-(

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Just an update. Mom is somewhat adjusted to the ALF but is still very weak,shaky & talks with a slur alot. But she is out doing some of the activites & going to the 3 meals a day. eats some which is good that the food taste to her at least. She still gets such bad stomach aches.
It has been very nice at home & hubby & I feel somewhat relaxed again. : ) Or should I say we have our lives back somewhat. i still feel guity though but she is at least communicating with others & being very well cared for. No more med arguing with her either. She does still feel panic at times due to her small room
but at least she takes her walker & goes out for walking . She was even seen doing a puzzle . So she is trying to make the best of it. But wow these places are expensive!!
Thank U all for caring & encouraging me.
Gayle

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:50 am

Hi Gayle. I'm glad that your Mom is starting to adjust to the ALF. I think the opportunities for socialization and activity are most helpful in keeping my LO's brain active. Over time, my family has been able to find a balance where we are able to live fulfilling lives while also spending quite a bit of time caring for my LO at the ALF. By caring I mean reading to her, walking the halls with her, tending to her needs in the early am and the late pm when she is most confused and the ALF caregivers are most busy helping others, taking her to appointments, comforting her during her hallucinations and delusions, finding all the stuff she moves around and putting it back in place, etc. As the CGs and the administration get to know her better and become more emotionally involved with my LO (and they become attached to everyone there) I find that they respond to the nuances of her LBD symptoms better. I also know that I will get a call if she falls or has a panic attach or if there is a medication problem.

Yes, ALF's that specialize in dementia care are expensive - for us, almost 6K a month. We will go through her savings next year. She qualified for the VA Aid and Attendance pension which was a lot of work for me to apply but has been well worth it financially. Eventually, though, she will be on medicaid or she will have to leave the facility. I don't think about the future much. I'm still living week to week or day to day with all the cognitive fluctuations. Good luck to you and your loved one. AnnieN

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:52 am

Gayle,
I am glad your Mom is adjusting well, sometimes they surprise us, turns out it isn't anything like WE expect.Sounds like she is engaging some and that's great , having your lives back also gives you some peace of mind !

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:59 am
Profile WWW

AnnieN..... Reading your report of what you are doing for your mother makes me feel just a bit guilty! Actually, more than a 'bit.' :oops:

You wrote, "By caring I mean reading to her, walking the halls with her, tending to her needs in the early am and the late pm when she is most confused and the ALF caregivers are most busy helping others, taking her to appointments, comforting her during her hallucinations and delusions, finding all the stuff she moves around and putting it back in place, etc."

You sound like you are still a full-time caregiver..... Those of us who do 'home care' have preparing meals, doing laundry, remembering meds, etc. ... and we sometimes forget to take the time to do the nice things you are doing for your mom. Thanks for the reminder!

I think I'd better go hug Dale.....

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:13 pm

Leone, what I didn't say (and should have) is that all the things I mentioned are done by a team. My husband is there almost every am and pm (he is unemployed). My sister drives 1.5 hrs from Seattle almost every Saturday to stay with Mom overnight. This gives us a 24-hr break. We hire a companion every Wed. evening and Thurs. afternoons. Breaking it up like this makes it doable and enables me to hold down a job. Of course, someone has to manage the schedule and coordinate the efforts and solve the more difficult problems and that's me.

What my family has experienced is that if we don't do these things our LO's condition deteriorates, she falls more and ends up in the ER or tears things apart in her room or has more anxiety attacks. Also, just the simple fact that we have different people coming to see her means that she is redirected and can switch moods. So we feel that this effort is essential to everyone's well being. I'm thankful that I have the support system to do this and I recognize that the situation can change at any time.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Post AnnieN
Your mother is a very lucky lady. It sounds like she has a great support team.

(I'm sorry to hear that your husband is 'unemployed.' Is that the result of this economic downturn? My son is a CPA and works two part time jobs with different offices. My daughter's employer recently laid off the man who hired her some 20 years ago. She is secure so far but the company is in trouble.)

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Annie,
A support team is very important, I had one also and I feel for the people who don't, but your right it does help redirect them. I am glad you get a break because caregiving can certainly wear you down!

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile WWW

Post Panic attacks/anxiety
****** ANNOUNCEMENT ********

If any of you know who the women are who keep showing up in our screened porch, I'd like to hear from you. I am sick and tired of having them there. They sit out there every evening and they really upset Dale - so if you know anything about them, please call 911. They are very annoying! :twisted:

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Leone, With a little bit of luck the children that hide under our bushes belong to your women, maybe a DNA is in order. :lol:
Life is never dull.
Gerry

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next