View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Panic attacks/feeling scared/anxiety 

Post Re: Panic attacks/feeling scared/anxiety
I STILL think you need to introduce them to those basketball players who also inhabit your house. It really doesn't matter, you know...the age difference! ;-)

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:51 pm

All kidding aside.... Am I the only one who gets all tied in knots when he is so serious about these imaginary people? There is still a part of me that doesn't want to accept that this is the way it is and that his brain is not going to return to another time. I sometimes find that I just can't relax and allow it to be.

In another post, I wrote about 'trying to fix things' and I suspect I'm still trying to 'fix' this.
I'm still wavering between seeing him as an intelligent man who can't possibly be taking this imaginary stuff seriously.

Tonight, in a rare sort of frustration, I heard myself saying to him, "You can't possibly believe I would allow other women to live in my home, can you?" He thought it was funny and he got the joke..... but then, he went right back to talking about them as real people.

Darn!

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 pm

You can't fight City Hall or delusions, Leone! :mrgreen:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Del's major hallucination centers around fire. The fire burns him and turns him black with charring. I have found him huddled in a little heap because he was "burned and I can't move." I tell him that there hasn't been a fire and that his skin is white again. He agrees that there is no fire. Then we go into the other room and he will point and say, "Hey, look. The fire's out."

I think he is just placating ME when he agrees that there is no fire. I'm the one whose senses are not sufficiently advanced to see what is obviously there...to him.

It's creepy sometimes but maybe it makes a kind of perverted sense. He was such a grounded in reality kind of fellow. No flights of fancy for him. You deal with facts and numbers. Everything is concrete. Now he sees it and it is as concrete to him as the rest of his life. It isn't his fault that I am not able to see what he sees. He's extraordinary. I am the one who is deficient and maybe he thinks he is humoring me.

Maybe....smiles, Nan

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:16 am

Interesting, Nan. Just night before last, D. saw a fire on our deck! He was almost shaking with anxiety when trying to tell me about it--he can't really get out more than one or two words at a time. I looked out and even walked out on the deck to show there was no fire but he was never convinced. He'll often see water on the floor, too, and you can tell he's trying not to get his feet wet in it. :|

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:58 am

The water is interesting, a few years ago Frank saw water coming thru the ceiling daily. I would try to splash it and show him my feet were dry, that hasn't happen for a long time. Yesterday I went into the bedroom and he had a lot of clothes out of the closet and trying to move furniture because the water was coming out of the ceiling again. His hallucination and delutions are a lot fewer, very easy to deal with but the lack of cognition and/or processing of what is being said or asked, the lack of ability to do any of the ADL is very sad and frustrating. At some point I guess all that will change and we'll have a new challenge.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4