View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Stumped by transfers and aides 

Post Stumped by transfers and aides
Hi everyone,

I need more advice on this. I have been having incredible trouble with the home health care agency that I have hired to assist with taking care of my Mom. They have given me one young lady who is just incredible, and only a year out of school. She is amazing with my mother, we love her and Mom loves her. Anyway, when she is off, all the other aides they send have difficulty with transferring Mom, particularly to the commode. It is probably why the facility she was at insisted on a hoyer lift which she hated. There have been other issues too but that is the biggest one. Even though Mom can do it there are times when she is incredibly afraid to stand up. When you lift her, she freezes and cries. It doesn't always help to let her know what you are going to do, be calm, reassure her. Then of course you have to get the diaper off and get the pants down before pivoting to the commode. One thing that does help is to put the commode bucket on the floor in case there is a BM so you can wipe her from underneath yourself if you are alone. Someone on the forum suggested this and it has helped me. I am just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas on how to make this easier. Is there any special equipment I can buy? We do have a downstairs bathroom (it dosen't have a shower or tub). Is there something like a wheelchair commode that we could transfer her to and then to the BR? Once she is on there, how do you get clothes off and on without standing? Is this even possible? I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Nancy

Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Nancy, are you using the pull-up disposable underpants? If not, you might consider them for daytime use. If she is incontinent, of course, the other kind make it easier to change them without having to take her shoes & pants off, but if she is continent during the day, the pull-ups and pants can at least be pulled down in one operation. I admit I'm really terrible trying to manage the diaper-type 'Depends'.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:04 pm

There are 3-in-1 chairs (wheelchair, commode, shower chair). They cost about $150.

A patient lift (such as the Hoyer lift) is the safest for everyone. They do have slings with a hole where the butt goes. This means you can place someone on the toilet and easily wipe them.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks Robin, Ma hates the hoyer lift worse than transferring by stand, pivot. It makes her sick to her stomach. I'll check into those chairs, do you have a link by any chance?

thanks for your help,
Nancy

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:01 pm

I just went through the same thing. Don't understand why I can manage it at the facility and the aides are clueless. I bought a shower chair, with rollers, my cost was ll7.00. I took the seat off the commode and roll the shower chair over the commode. Much sturdier than any of the things at the drug store to adapt a commode. After he is finished I roll it away and easily clean up. I also roll the shower chair over next to his recliner and the transfer is easier and take the depend off in the bathroom. I roll him down to the shower in this chair as well. The chair has a tag and web site on it and if you would like I will get it for you. Just weeks ago Tony could walk to the shower and bathroom but that went away very quickly. Now I even have a hard time getting him to stand to transfer, but he is down to 100 lbs and not too bad to move around.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 am

I go to the same websites again and again to find what I'm looking for:

1800wheelchair.com
abledata.com
invacare.com
sammonspreston.com

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]