View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 CAPGRAS SYNDROME 

Post CAPGRAS SYNDROME
MY WIFE HAS CAPGRAS SYNDROME WITH THE LBD. THIS ONE GIVES US THE MOST TROUBLE. WHEN SHE WAS DIAGNOSED SHE WAS UNDER THE CAPGRAS SYNDROME MOST ALL OF THE TIME. SHE DID NOT RECOGNIZE ME AS HER HUSBAND BUT AS A FRIENDLY PERSON SHE COULDN'T NAME. DEALING WITH THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT. SHE CAN'T BE CONVINCED THAT SHE HAS THESE DELUSIONS BECAUSE THEY ARE SO REAL TO HER. I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHAT I SAY TO HER BECAUSE SHE REMEMBERS EVERYTHING. SHE DOESN'T EVEN RECOGNIZE PICTURES OF ME. WE RECENTLY TRIED RISPERIDONE AND EXELON PATCHES AND THESE SEEM TO BE HELPING. SHE IS UNDER THE CAPGRAS ONLY ABOUT HALF THE TIME RIGHT NOW AFTER BEING ON THE MEDS ABOUT 3 WEEKS. THE MOST DIFFICULT THING IS WHEN SHE ASKS THIS FAMILIAR PERSON(ME) WHERE HER BILL IS AND WHEN WILL HE BE HOME AND WHY IS HE GONE SO LONG. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW OTHERS HANDLE THESE DELUSIONS.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Oldman, My husband thinks there are 3 of me, his wife, # 1, #2, or just refers to them as the other ones. I'm never sure who he thinks is with him. We have our phone set up so if he needs me, his wife, he lifts the receiver and pushes the white button and it goes to my cell. I'll be working around the house and will hear the cell ringing. I'll sit beside him and we'll be talking to each other, on the phones. He'll ask, "when are you coming home?" I'll pat him on his leg and say, look, I'm right here talking to you on the phone. He'll say, "not you, I want my wife". It's been going on for years and at the beginning I went along with him and say she'll be home shortly. When he realized his wife was home, I would be drilled as to where I was and who I was with, so now I just tell him there are no others, just me. Sometimes he drops it and other times he'll explain what the other one was doing and I just keep saying that was me. He never gets upset, every so often we kid and I tell him, "you should be so lucky to have 3 woman in your life.

Good Luck, I don't think it always gets better but you learn to figure it out and deal with it the best you can.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:57 am

I've posted this before, I'm sure, but one evening my husband, who can't use the phone, insisted that I call his wife for him. Unable to convince him that I am she, I called my cell phone, which I answered, letting him talk to me on the land line. He asked, "Where are you?" I replied, "I'm standing right here in front of you!" We spoke for several minutes and he never got it but accused me of "playing games". We've done this more than once with the same outcome. He almost never recognizes me as his wife but as two or three others who "claim" to be his wife. Certainly, I do the work of two or three! :wink:

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:32 am

One of the things I used to do when my husband was looking for the "Other" me was we were very lucky we had a long hallway and I would walk down it and again appear as the real "Me". When this first started I was totally blown away until I could understand what was happening and once I came to terms with it, things seemed to calm down a bit, they often react on our reactions.

Oldman, Welcome. I did try to post a welcome last night it appears it didn't make it to the forums, I hope you find some helpful supportive ideas here that will be helpl to you. Not sure if you were able to find support groups if not here is a link!

http://www.lbda.org/category/4185/local ... groups.htm

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 am
Profile WWW

My husband has suffered with Capgras syndrome for over a year now, and it has caused him many hours of anxiety, at one time he was adament that the garage doors be locked as well as the house. Then last summer he started leaving them unlocked, because he wanted "she" the other me to be able to get in. He was sure there was a house just like ours in the next town, that "She" and I would change places frequently. He told me one night that he had three wives, one was very mellow laid back, caused no problems, one was causing trouble all the time and he thought he would divorce her, and one was perfect. Although I would like to claim to be the perfect one, I think I was the one causing all the trouble for him.

He is in the nursing home now, and lately "she" has been showing up in his conversations, I think he feels that "she" will get him out of there and let him come home. He broke his hip, and can not walk, he was unable to understand what was needed for him to rehap. He believes that he can walk, and tells me about places he has walked to, and gets very upset when I will not help him out of the wheel chair, and if I would just turn my back he could get out of the nursing home. He insists that he will come back for me in a few days.

Lewy Land in not a nice place to be.

Sat May 08, 2010 12:01 am
Profile YIM

Mary73, You wrote my life, 3 wives, and of course I'm the bad one. Frank is still home and we are having a PT come in weekly and trying to work on the exercises during the week and every other week he has message theropy. I'm just hoping to keep him mobile. I figured we spend the money now or spend it later for home health care somewhere down the road. It is a sad, frustrating life, but at night, if you sit and think about the day, there are some happenings that bring a smile to you.

Take care,

Sat May 08, 2010 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]