View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Sleeping 24 hrs plus! 

Post Sleeping 24 hrs plus!
Mom has been asleep since 9 pm last night (Sat). I tried waking her this morning at 9:30 am but she just couldn't wake up. I was concerned about the urination because she didn't go before putting her to bed (last time she went was 3:00 pm on Sat). But, she was dry so I tried putting the bedpan under her, but she was too sleepy to go. Tried 2-3 more times throughout the day, but she still couldn't wake up and was always dry. At 6:30 tonight, I got her awake enough to take a couple sips of water, thinking her throat had to be very dry, but she just went back to sleep. I also checked her temp (ok) and b.p. (little low, but hers always runs low). She was still dry so I tried the bedpan again, with no result. Not sure she really knew who I was or what I was doing though as she couldn't keep her eyes open. At 8:00, I called the hospice nurse and she said to try the bedpan again, so I put her back on it and this time she was able to go a small amount. The nurse will be here in the morning, unless I need her tonight. She's been mumbling off and on some but I cannot understand what she's saying. Right now she seemds to be sleeping fitfully. A few weeks ago, she slept 19 hours and was not very responsive, nor did she eat much for a few days, but she came out of it. She's been ok since then, although this weekend she's been very lethargic and sleepy, but eating ok. This is the first time she's slept over 24 hours and she's still sleeping! I'm sure I'll be awake a lot tonight checking in on her. She hasn't had any meds today as the nurse told me not to administer them unless I was able to get her fully awake. Has anyone else experienced their LO sleeping this long? Did you keep trying to wake them up, or just did you just let them keep sleeping?

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:52 pm
Profile YIM

I think it's best to let your mother keep sleeping. Something may be going on mentally or physically that she needs this kind of rest. Her body may also be shutting down.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:00 am

I'm sure you're right, Robin. I was worried that the nurse would want to put a cath. in mom if she couldn't urinate. I just turned her and she is still fast asleep. Every now and then, I will hear her mumble but her words are so slurred and I can't understand anything she says. Maybe things will be better by morning.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 am
Profile YIM

We've had 2 episodes where Frank slept 24 +hrs and after 15-18 hrs I tried everything to wake him, he did have a temp. Both of those times I had to call 911 and they found that Frank did have the start of a respiratory infection. Frequently he'll sleep 10-12 hrs at night and then spent most of the day dozing. If he doesn't have a temp, I'm happy to let him sleep and just keep my finger crossed that he'll sleep that night. He's started wearing pull-ups at night so if he wets it's contained and saves me a lot of laundry. Good luck with you Mom, tomorrow will probably be a different concern.

Take Care,
Gerry

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:46 am

Thanks, Gerry. Mom slept till 8 am (47 hrs) and actually called my name to say she needed to use the bedpan and she was able to urinate. (She does wear pullups too.) I gave her a bath and she stayed partly awake during it but was very rigid and difficult to turn. She thought it was Sunday and that she was going to church. Also said something about having her legs shortened. I thought she meant some pants, but she said no, her legs! She said she told the dr that they didn't need to be shortened and I agreed with her. Anyway, she's in clean clothes but by the time I was finished, she was back fast asleep. She does sound a little congested and it's usually just sinus drainage so I've got her bed elevated some and am just waiting till the nurse gets here to check her out. I had planned on getting her up and trying to get some food and meds in her but think it's best to wait on the nurse since she's in such a deep sleep again. This is such a weird and crazy disease.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:22 am
Profile YIM

Oh, I guess I can't add--or too tired too be accurate! Mom's slept for 35 hrs, not 47 although since she's back asleep, it may well be that!

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:29 am
Profile YIM

Well the hospice nurse came and checked mom. All her vital signs are ok, lungs sound clear. She got mom to wake up for a few minutes and she was fairly coherent but mom thought she'd been up and had some breakfast. The nurse thinks it's either the LBD getting worse, or maybe the dosage is too high on the new drug they started on March 22 (Neurontin, 100 mg) for a burning sensation in her legs. The dr thinks that she's having some nerve pain by the way mom described it. They will probably decrease it to see it that makes a difference. The nurse told me just to let mom sleep but to try to wake her enough to use the bedpan if she doesn't go in her depends. She said not to worry about trying to give her meds to her unless I can get her to eat something like pudding or applesauce. Also gave me some swabs for her mouth so it doesn't get too dry. Mom went back to sleep before the nurse left and is still sleeping soundly. So, we'll just "keep on, keeping on." The hospice dr may come to see her--he comes once a month.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:25 pm
Profile YIM

My dad is sleeping a lot now too. My sister tried to visit with him this morning and he couldn't wake up at 10 am even though he'd been up for breakfast. She tried for a while to awaken him but he'd barely open his eyes then go back to sleep.
I called his nurse to see if there was a reason he was sleeping so much (didn't sleep much the night before, Seroquel dose too high, whatever). She's calling me back tomorrow.
I'm thinking he's shutting down. He eats like a tiny bird..... Lynn

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm

My mom is also sleeping long period of time for the past few months. I am able to get her to drink vitamin drinks and shake durning that time and I usually transfere her to her chair in the living room for part of the day even tho she sleeps right thru it. She is in that phase right now. She does eat a little now and then. I always wonder "is this the last time she will come out of it?" So we wait and see what tomarrow will bring.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Well, another day is gone. I was able to get mom awake and up Monday around 5:00, and she ate a small supper and seemed to enjoy it although she couldn't feed herself because of shakiness. She promptly fell back asleep in her lift chair after supper and didn't know it when I put her to bed (use a hoyer lift) at 8:30. She slept till 1:00 today. When I woke her up, she was able to eat a little. She and I enjoyed some FL sunshine this afternoon, but when I brought her back inside to her chair, she fell back asleep. She woke up and ate a very small supper. Afterward, she slept off and on in her chair till I put her to bed. Just after giving her meds to her tonight, she told me some "little girls" had come to see her to see if they could help give her meds to her. She seemed to be amused by them. Then she told me she was ready to go back to her "area". She thought she was at a rehab place and that it was time for her to return to her room. Her voice is very low and it's difficult to understand what she's saying. Most of it doesn't make sense. I'm wondering if it's the LBD getting worse, results from a dosage of morphine she received for pain on Sat, a reaction to her new med for nerve pain (neurontin), or the full moon! Maybe a combination of all the above. Anyway, the hospice nurse will be back tomorrow and I'm going to ask about reducing the dosage level of the neurontin and see if the sleep issue changes any.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:09 pm
Profile YIM

Wow, any of the above [except maybe the full moon :wink: ] might be causing her to sleep more. Sounds like you're on the right track getting her neurontin decreased. My husband has been seeing 'people' for several years now--that's probably the LBD. --Pat

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Post Sleeping around the clock again!
Mom has been asleep for 27 hrs. today without waking at all. The hospice nurse was here today and checked all her vitals, which were fine. We tried waking mom, but couldn't so the nurse told me to just let her sleep and keep a watch on her. I even changed her depends, but that didn't wake her. Her skin has a few red spots that we're watching so the nurse is bringing mom an electric air mattress tomorrow. The nurse told me she thinks mom will probably just sleep more and more and may slip away in that manner. I pray that will be the case as she's so ready to go. Our hospice is such a wonderful & helpful organization and I don't know what I would do without their support. At 10 pm, I got mom awake enough to sip about 1/2 cup of water then she was back asleep. Wish I could sleep!

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:36 am
Profile YIM

Hope you can get some much needed sleep! You will be in my thoughts and prayers this week!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]