View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 ? Final stages 

Post ? Final stages
I realize no one really has the answer on when the end will come, but my Mom is showing the symptoms of being in the final stages. She can no longer communicate at all. She has no language skills, if you ask her a question such as, are you hungry? She is unable to answer because she not only doesn't understand what she hears but she can't put a sentence together to talk back. She has constant halluctinations and delusions. She talks all the time to them, if you can call it talking. She can do nothing on her own. Last November 1st she broke her hip, which she made it through surgery just fine. But she hasn't been able to walk on her own again, seems the surgery process or the disease progression has taken away the ability to stand - she just falls backward or sideways. Is there any way to gage how long they can just keep going when they get to this point?

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:17 pm

You've described very accurately a member of the local support group. He's been well over 3 years in the same state. He's been on and off hospice twice in this time.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi Cheri - my 88 yr. old dad has exhibited most of the final stages of LBD for about 9 mo. now. I keep trying to get a prognosis for him, but no one seems to want to or be able to predict how much longer he can live like this. What several of his health care professionals have told me, despite how disabled he is "something else will probably kill him before the LBD does". Unfortunately, that seems to be kind of a common theme with dementia from what I can tell. One "very helpful" dr. told us that it could be a day to 10 years. Now that's really nailing it down, huh? LOL

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 pm

I know no one can give us an answer as to when. That is all in Gods hands, but sometimes is just starts to wear on us. My Mom is not in any physical pain and I'm grateful for that. But in this advanced state it is like taking care of a zombie. I guess that is what makes this disease so cruel. Thanks for your responses.
Cheri

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 am

Remember, it's not LBD, as such, that will likely cause death, but infections as a result of LBD.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]