View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Does not talk 

Post Does not talk
Does anyone else have this problem. My MIL only talks if she is asked a direct question. Often her responses are "Oh" or "OK" mostly one word responses. Also she only goes from her recliner to the bathroom without being prompted. She will only leave her room if I prompt her to do so. Another thing she does is watch the TV guide channel with the rolling TV listings. And even then she will spend 20 minutes surfing the channels over and over and over. She attempts crosswords, but needs to cheat. She refuses to attempt any other activity. At least her hallucinations have stopped (for now).

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:17 am

Post The problem?
Oh, your MIL is doing the best she can. From what you are saying, it sounds to me as if this is someone with LBD who is having a good day. Please let her watch the TV channel she wants. Let her cheat if she is doing someting that occupies herself and she is using what part of her brain she can. She is not hurting herself or anyone else. She is trying to the best of her ability. Don't push her for answers, learn to anticipate her needs and help her with those. This is not someone you can train for social graces, those days are gone, try to work with what she is doing. And, by the way, we want to know more how it works for you. This is such a change from anything you have always considered "proper", try to look up some of the "rules" for caregiving. I think you both will be much more relaxed.

I know it is hard, but as others are always saying, "hang in there".

DrP

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:54 am

We have one LBD gentleman in our local group who hasn't spoken for more than 3 years!

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:34 am

She seems to be very content. I call her "new" Nana. And I let her do whatever makes her happy. After all, she deserves it. Found her in a dark walk in closet the other day looking for something, but she didn't remember what it was. That was a first.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:57 am

My dad's communication is like that too - he almost never initiates any type of conversation anymore, unless it is "I have to go to the bathroom". Most questions are answered with one word, or else he is furious and bad-mouthing everything that happens (or he thinks is happening) at the ALF. I don't know how the caregivers deal with such a negative person day after day. But then they aren't related to him so maybe it just "rolls off their backs". I wish my old dad was back..... I'd be delighted if he could even get to the bathroom with prompting - he hasn't been able to get himself into the bathroom since last June :cry: Lynn

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]