View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sleep patterns 

Post Re: Sleep patterns
Lynn -Are there any sedatives that can be used to help my husband to sleep? He sleeps in his chair all day long, but is up most of the night wanting to go pee or just with his hallucinations. The caregivers are tired and so am I as we hear him all night long. Why does he sleep like the dead in the daytime and not at all at night? Bobbie

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Bobbie - I am sure there are probably several things that could be tried, but I am no medicine expert. Have you talked with the dr. about this? You can search through the forum to see what others have tried that have worked with their LBD LOs, remembering though, that what works for one can be dangerous for another or not work at all. Do you know how to search the forum and the articles? Those are good places to look for info. before talking with the dr. perhaps. Lynn

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Bobbie, My husbands dozes off and on all day if we aren't on the go. He "usually" sleeps 8-10 hrs at night. I give him 200mg of gabapentin, (neurontin), each night but maybe once a week he gets up between 11:P - 2:A and wants to go home. His Dr said I could give him another 200mg of gabapentin, so far I've got away with telling Frank we forgot his meds and he will take them. It might take an hour or so but he does go back to bed. Yesterday he had no idea who I was or where he was, he took off down the road. I followed him with the car but he wouldn't even look at me so I parked in a church lot. A short time later I saw him coming down the sidewalk with a man that lives across the field from us. We've alway chatted with him on our walks so he had seen Frank change over the years. Mr. Sheehan brought Frank to our car, opened the door and he got in. I was afraid we would have a problem at bed time so I did increase his med. Like Lynn said you never know what will work for your LO. This is a difficult life at best but without sleep, it's impossible to keep it together.
Take Care, Gerry

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Bobbie,
Have you tried something simple such as melatonin? Boeve's "Continuum" paper from 2004 has a good discussion of medication for sleep problems as Boeve is a sleep expert.
Robin

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:22 pm

I haven't written in a long time but learn a lot by reading other's messages. My LO went through a period of about a year where he would wake 5 and 6 times a night to go to the bathroom and because of his stiffness from Parkinson's he needed me to help him...it was a horrible year and I was tired all the time. Now he is incontinent and sleeps like a baby.

I believe he is starting to get "the sundowners" now because he is much more difficult in the evening and late afternoons. ..to the point of being aggressive. He usually goes to bed at 9pm, tonight however, he refused to go to bed. He wandered around our upstairs level "fixing" things (actually broke the toilet paper holder). My daughter lives with me and we finally got him in bed and he is sound asleep as I write. I usually have to wake him up at 9 am and he is up for a couple hours and goes back to sleep till 1:00 pm...He really sleeps a lot - takes a late afternoon nap as well.

My husband is in Hospice care now. He rarely makes any sense when he speaks and his voice is barely audible. He can still walk - which I am very thankful for as he is a 6'4" guy.

Well, I have sorta rambled on but I guess my point is that as the disease gets worse perhaps the loved ones will sleep better or more.
Jeanie in Michigan

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Jeanie,
Yes, it's been a long time since we've heard from you! Thanks for making the point that things can change. Glad to hear your loved one is on hospice now. Have you thought about brain donation?
Robin

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Robin~
I have thought about a brain donation. I don't know much about it. I think it is expensive and that was a concern. His desire is to be cremated. J

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 pm

A different sleep observation. My husband had the REM sleep acting out some years ago, and lost his sense of smell, both apparently precursors. Now he sleeps on his back without moving or making any noise. A little creepy. We are fairly early in the process.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:51 pm

My husband also sleeps on his back, seldom moves, but he does talk, hum or sing throught the night. Sometime when I get him to bed, I guess he's not too tired, he'll get up and come sneaking down the hall. He'll slowly poke his head around the door, I find that creepy, sometimes it gives me the chills. He use to do that a lot because he thought I was entertaining a "boyfriend", fortunately that was in the past, at least for now. Usually once a week he'll get up 1:00AM and this morning after 3 1/2 hrs sleep I said it would be nice if I could get at least 6 hours. His reply was "what's the big deal about sleep, you get plenty". I do get a fairly good nights sleep the rest of the week. My thoughts to all of you, lets hope we are still sane at the end of this.
Take Care,

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:55 am

My MIL used to get up every hour on the hour. She would go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, then go back to bed - over and over. I have no idea how long this had been going on. I only found out when I spent the night with her because she had fallen in the middle of the previous night. Her doctor prescribed a Remeron tab at bedtime. It has helped tremendously. This is also an anti-depressant and appetite stimulant. Now she can sleep until about 5 or 6 in the morning before she needs to use the bathroom and then go back to bed until about 9 or 10 (we moved her in with us last fall). What is creepy is how she goes from dead sleep to jolting awake if I need to wake her for AM meds.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2